Chapter 42

Taylor's POV

His face goes almost pale, and for a minute I fear that he's going to pass out. But he doesn't. He just stares at me, unmoving and confused.

"Carter-" I start, but he cuts me off.

"No you're dead- I must be hallucinating or something-"

"I'm not dead and your not hallucinating," I whisper. "I'm here."

He studies me as if trying to commit my every detail to memory in case I disappear into thin air.

"It's me, Carter. I'm here," I state quietly.

His eyes are full of unspoken questions, questions he doesn't put into words but questions I can probably guess.

"We'll give you two a minute," Mrs. Stone states, grabbing her husbands and leading him out of the room with her.

Mr. Stone shoots me an almost icy glare before closing the door, causing chills to run down my spine. But I can understand why.

I turn my attention back to Carter, just as he opens his mouth to speak.

"How?" he hoarsely whispers.

"Don't worry about that now," I quietly say, walking cautiously over to him. "I'll explain everything later."

I lie down on the hospital bed, resting my head on his shoulder. He drapes his arm around my waist.

"You left me," he sadly says, sending a pang of guilt through me.

"I didn't want too. I was trying to protect you. You were safer thinking I was dead," I reply, turning to face him. A few teardrops roll down my face.

"God Taylor, I thought you were dead," he murmurs. "I don't care about being safe. You're the only thing I care about. Only you."

Our eyes link, and we just lie there in a comfortable silence for an immeasurable time before I speak.

"You're all I care about, too," I whisper. "That's why I had to do it. I promise I'll explain everything later. But for now I just want to forget all of that and-"

He presses his lips to mine, pulling me closer to him. The kiss is short and sweet, but it's everything I need right now.

"Never leave me again," he states authoritatively, as I lie my head in the crook of his neck.

"Never," I whisper.

We lie like that in silence, the only sound being the steady beeping of the cardiac monitor. I start to feel groggy, my insomniac activities finally catching up to me.

Just before I drift to sleep, I hear him whisper, "I love you Taylor."

"I love you too," I murmur before the darkness consumes me.

A/N

Sorry for the short chapter hope you liked it anyways.

So, I know a lot of you have issues seeing the pictures I put 'on the side' and sometimes they get deleted accidentally which is annoying. So I'm considering starting an Instagram account specifically for my wattpad that just has pics of outfits, dresses, horses, people, etc that might be in my books. What do you guys think?

Love you, and have a great night/day!