Chapter 3

Last class of the day- finally. It seems like that Amy girl is in all of my classes, giving me death glares. Thankfully, she's not in this one.

But Joy, Erica, and Jake are. We all sat in sort of a square formation, so I'm surrounded by familiar faces.

The teacher- an uptight, strict lady- is going over the curriculum for our stage crafting class.

"Oh my god, does she ever shut up," Sky quietly complains. I laugh a little, until the teacher glares at me.

"Ms Evans, what do you find so amusing," Ms. Williams asks, annoyed.

"Oh, it's nothing," I reply.

"I'm sure the class would love to hear, and if it's important enough to interrupt, them it's important for them to hear," she smirks. I am not making a good first impression at this school.

"Well, if you must now, I was just thinking about something funny that my parents told me... you know, before they died and I was left an orphan," I lie, a sarcastic tone to my voice.

Her face scrunched up, and I can tell that I've left her utterly speechless.

"Oh... well... um... anyways, let's get back to the rules," she stutters, before starting back on the boring basics of this class.

I let my mind wander off into space, before a note slides onto my desk. I push it into my lap, and quietly unfold it.

'Hey. Here's everyone's cell # in case you need anyone.

Joy: 405-788-9656
Sky: 405:367-9835
Erica: 405-751-1943
Andrea: 405-714-5193
Ethan: 405-629-7613

Oh, and here's mine: 405-231-345

-Jake'

I look over to him, and mouth 'Thank
You'

I add all the numbers to the contacts in my phone. Luckily, Ms. Williams is too busy with her boring lecture to notice.

I send out a group text that reads:

'Hey. This is Taylor. Just letting you guys have my number.'

I don't send it till the teacher is done, so that no text tones go off.

Once it's sent, everyone quickly replies a thank you, or at least something to acknowledge that they got it.

Eventually, the bell rings, and I rush to my locker to grab my things. Joy's locker is conveniently next to mine, so we walk out to the parking lot together.

"Hey, see you guys tomorrow," Jake says. I turn and see him coming up behind us.

"Bye Jake," Joy chimes. I don't say anything, I just halfheartedly wave.

As he walks away, I notice Joy eyeing him with adoring eyes.

"Oh my god, could you want him any more?" I tease.

"What do you mean?" she asks, her face turning red. I turn my gaze to Jake and then back to him so that she gets the hint. "Oh Jake? Ew, no we're just friends!"

"Come on, it's me," I laugh. She takes a deep breath, and then looks me in the eyes.

"Okay, okay. Maybe I like him a teeny, tiny bit. But it's just a crush, I'll get over it," she lies.

"Whatever helps you sleep at night," I giggle.

We stand in a comfortable silence for a minute.

"Do you mind if I come over after school today?" Joy asks.

"That would be great- I'm sure Mr and Mrs. Stone won't mind," I happily agree.

Just then, his truck pulls into the parking lot, and he smiles at me. Oh, is he in for a rude surprise.

I hop into the passenger seat, and Joy climbs into the back.

"How was your first day," he asks, leaning over to kiss me. I push him away, and laugh.

"Oh no buddy," I smirk.

"What's wrong?"

"Oh nothing- it's just that you failed to inform me about the monster Barbie of your school... and that tiny little fact that you dated her," I say in a false, cheery voice. He sighs, and rubs his temple.

"I totally forgot about that. Yes, we dated. But we broke up because I realized what a nasty person she was. Plus, she couldn't stand being around horses. She's still bitter about the breakup, and she's probably insanely jealous of us," he wearily informs me.

"Well, a little heads up would have been nice," I grumble.

We're silent for a while, before I hear a voice from the back of the truck.

"Guys, stop fighting. That's exactly what she wants," Joy firmly states. Crap, I forgot she was here.

Carter eyes me, and then returns his eyes to the road. "If I knew it was going to be a problem, I would have told you. It's not a big deal to me, I can't stand her. I'm sorry she's taking it out on you."

"It's okay," I sigh.

My text tone goes off, and I look down to my phone.

Jake: Hey, did you get the math homework?

I quickly type my answer, smiling to myself. I'm glad I've already made friends, thanks to Joy.

Me: Yes, sadly. Still can't believe we have homework on the first day

Jake: I know right! Speaking of which, how was it? Your first day, I mean.

Me: Fine, but that Amelia is crazy. I sense that we're going to have problems

"Hey, who are you texting," Carter asks, looking over my shoulder.

"Just one of Joy's friends I met today," I answer, not really thinking much of it.

"Oh, who is it," Joy chimes from the back.

"Just Jake."

Carter furrows his eyebrows, his carefree expression turning to a scowl. I can tell he's uneasy, but he doesn't say anything on the subject.

"Hey Carter, what time is the vet coming out to check Ezhno's leg?"

"Oh, Dr. Fay is coming out at 3:30. It's about 3'o clock now," he answers.

We pull into the driveway, and I instantly notice the horses peacefully grazing in the field. All except Ezhno, who is still pent up in his stall.

My phone goes off, and I look down at the text.

Jake: I still need that homework...

Me: Pg 133 in the textbook. 1-45 odd.

I slip my phone into my back pocket, and head to Ezhno's stall, happy to see him after a long day.