Chapter 39

A steady tapping on my arm wakes me from a sleep I was oblivious of falling into. For a split second, I think maybe Carter woke up, and I snap up to a sitting position. I'm disappointed to see that it's just Ariel- not that I don't want to see her.

"Hey," I wearily mumble, a slight heat rising to my cheeks. I feel a hint of embarrassment that my little sister walked in on me sleeping in the hospital bed with Carter. But I figure she won't judge me due to the circumstances.

"Hey," she replies, taking a seat in the bedside chair.

"What do you need?" I question, sensing that she wants to say something but is hesitant to.

"Can you- can you tell me what's going on? No one will tell me anything. I haven't seen my parents since..." her voice trails off, before she recovers and goes on to make her point. "I'm just so confused- about everything. Until today I didn't know you existed, and now I'm being kidnapped and finding out I have a sister and that my last name is apparently 'Evans' and not 'Frederickson.' My whole life is a lie."

"I know the feeling," I murmur to myself.

"I just need some answers," she whispers.

I glance at Carter, and face the cruel reality that he probably won't wake up for a few hours, if ever. Then I nod and look at my sister.

"I can do that for you," I sigh, looking up at the clock. "I could use a coffee anyway."

I stand to my feet, and look meaningfully over to the door. She gets the point, and goes to leave the room.

Before I walk out, I take a quick look down at Carter and kiss his forehead.

"Wake up soon, okay," I whisper, before leaving the room to go with Ariel. She needs answers, and I'm the only one who can give them to her.

It's the least I can do.

Carter's POV

The darkness around me seems almost scary, almost frightening. I almost want to escape it

But I don't bother trying because the only thing more frightening than this ominous darkness that shrouds me in it's folds is the thought of Taylor being gone.

Why can't I just die? I want to die.

But something won't let me. Something I can't put my finger on is beckoning me towards the way out of this dark cloak I'm lost in. Something important.

Something indeterminable.

Maybe dying is the easy way out, and it would make me a coward. But if not wanting to live without her makes me a coward, than get out a lable maker and slap that sticker on my forehead.

The only thing I have in this darkness is my memories, and the only ones worth remembering have her in them.

I can see her in my head when she was only five, handing Charcoal over to me with the saddest look in her eyes.

She carried that look with her as she grew up- she had that unbelievably sad look on her face when I met her at that corner store, and when she left me after being caught in that flood.

I can't help but think she'd have that look in her eyes if she could see me now.

The darkness around me starts to fade as a voice pulls me almost forcefully into consciously.

I swear I can hear Taylor's voice. I can hear her calling me.

I crack open my eyes to an empty room. Of course she isn't here. That's impossible.

She's dead.

A/N

Sorry for the wait. Love you guys so freaking much you're all so amazing!

Also this is the most random question ever but I've been wondering for a while because I'm a weirdo- are any of my readers friends in real life? Just wondering!!!