Chapter nineteen: The long Run

"Lillian Missy Myers." I murmured softly as the tiny baby was placed in my arms. Her eyes were open, though held a sleepy look as she gazed up at me. She had the same eyes as Michael. I smiled softly; this was my baby. My little baby girl. She gave a happy smile up to me before yawning, her hazel eyes closing as she dozed off in my arms. I looked to Michael, who was staring down at the baby with a look that obviously read 'oh my god. I really am a father now...'

I smiled slightly, holding Lily out to him. "C'mon. Hold her. She's asleep anyways." I whispered, not wanting to wake her up. His eyes went wide at first with uncertainty, then slowly reached out and took his new baby girl into his arms. His huge hands made Lily look even smaller, though his touch stayed soft and gentle as he sat in the chair beside my hospital bed.

'Hey, sweetheart.' He murmured softly, smiling down like a complete idiot to the infant sleeping in his arms. 'She's beautiful.' He whispered, grinning to me softly. I smiled and nodded in return, suddenly realizing how tired I was after this whole experience. "Would you mind holding her? I'm so tired I can barely keep my eyes open."

Michael gave a soft nod as he held Lily close, closing his own eyes and sighing as he relaxed. 'Go ahead. I've got her.' He replied, and I relaxed at his warm tone before finally dozing off.

~

She comes home the same way every day. Runs down the sidewalk with her friends and their parents who picked her up, and laughing at nothing. Comes inside and tosses her bag on the bench by the door. Finally makes her way into the kitchen and sits down at the table with Michael and I while I work on random paper work. We would talk about her day then, asking how everything went.

"Daddy, I've got a boyfriend!" My little kindergarten daughter exclaimed after her first day of school, making me snort in amusement as Michael suddenly became very interested with the conversation we were currently having. "I thought mama told you by now!" She suddenly squeaked, seeing the reaction Michael had to this information.

"He's not mad, lily. It's what dads do. They're always so overprotective of their little girls." I laughed, giving Michael a playful nudge as he scoffed affectionately. 'Exactly. I'm just messing around.' He chuckled, shrugging innocently as he leaned back in his seat and wrapped an arm around my shoulders. I laid my head against him, grinning devilishly at my victory as I held a hand over my abdomen, which held Lily's unborn brother.

Of course that 'boyfriend' didn't last. It's second grade. The more Lily grew, the more she was interested in boys. The more interested she was in boys, the more Michael would get overprotective. The more he got overprotective, the more I would tease him for it. He would relax and huff like a tantruming child would after that.

Michael was ready to fight when I told him that a boy was picking up Lily for her first high school home coming. "Go to a restaurant with Luke. Go somewhere other than here. You know middle school boys better than I do, and I need to help Lily get ready. Plus, I don't need you scaring off this boy. She really likes him. Now, out, out, out!!"

~

Luke and Lily got along much better than most siblings. Yeah, they taunted and teased each other a lot, but what siblings don't? I found out how close they were in Lily's senior year. I got a call from the school, saying Luke was in the office. I was furious at first, and made them put him on the phone so he could explain.

"He was making fun of her, mom! Called her a whore and taunting her so bad she almost cried! I think I might actually have to go in for how hard I hit him... my knuckles hurt real bad and are really swollen. I may or may not have broken his jaw as well..."

That was all it took for me to pick both of them up, only a slight scolding for Luke, and take care of his knuckles. "Thanks for standing up for your sister. Why did he start saying stuff like that?" I asked, glancing to the back window. I saw Luke just look at lily expectantly.