Chapter 20

(So yeah. This chapter is also in Sarah's POV, and I swear it's the last one.)

(Sarah's POV)

Four days after the incident at the ice rink, I knew I had a mission. I had something I needed to do. I needed to go and talk to Yuri. I needed to know how I should propose to Yurio on the big night. He has experience, so he's going to be my best bet for advice.

It was late at night, and I was standing next to a tree, all bundled up, as it was really cold outside. "C'mon, where are you, Yuri?" I mumbled under my breath. "You were supposed to be here ten minutes ago..."
Then, as if I had summoned him, Yuri walked up to me. "Sorry I'm late," he said.
"It's fine," I mumbled. "Honestly, I'm just glad that you came at all. I mean, it is eleven at night."
"Point taken," he said with a nod. "Anyways, why did you call me to the park again? I've totally forgotten."
I nearly facepalmed. "You're kidding me, right?"
Yuri shook his head. "I'm being serious. For whatever reason, I can't remember."
I groaned. "You know, sometimes I question why we even dated for that short span of time."
Obviously flustered by my comment, Yuri went into a blush. "S-stop that, Sarah."
"Calm down. I'm only joking," I said, crossing my arms.
Yuri sighed. "...anyways, are you going to answer my question?"
I nodded. "Yeah. The reason that I called you here is that I'm proposing to Yurio the night after my Short Program at the Grand Prix Final, remember?"
"Oh yeah, that's right," Yuri said, awkwardly scratching his head. "And you want advice from me, don't you?"
I nodded. "That's exactly what I want."
He took a deep breath. "Well, from my experience, you just need to act natural. I mean, if you make it awkward, I'm not saying that he'll say no, but it'll make things odd, especially if anyone is watching as you do it."
"Yeah, I figured as much," I mumbled. "I guess what I really mean to say is how should I go about doing it? What should I say?"
Yuri sighed and took my hands, and looked me in the eye. "Sarah, I'm sure you'll figure out what to say."
I slightly blushed, surprised by his actions. "Are you sure?"
He nodded. "I'm positive, Sarah. I've known you for quite a while, and I know you're a smart individual. I know that something like this is sure to come to you naturally."
A smile slowly crept across my face. "You really mean that? I...thank you, Yuri."
"Not a problem," he said with a nod. "While we're here, is there anything else you want to ask me?"
I bit my lip. "...actually, I kinda have an idea of what I want to say to him. Can...can I run it by you?"
Yuri nodded. "Of course you can, Sarah. You know I'm here to help with anything."

I then took a deep breath, and got on one knee, just as I had practiced. As if this was the real deal. "I...Yurio, you've been by my side through thick and thin. You helped me become the amazing skater that I am today. If it wasn't for you, I don't know if I'd be on the ice today. There was a crack in the ice, and you helped me fix it. Yurio...I don't ever want you to leave my side, and I never want to leave yours. That's why...Yurio, will you marry me?"
Yuri gasped. "Wow...Sarah, that was amazing. Now, I'm not Yurio, but if I was him, I would've said yes in a heartbeat," he said as he held his hand out.
I took it, and he helped me up. "Really?"
He nodded. "Of course. Remember what I said earlier. God, if there weren't so many years separating us, I would say that I would've been with you instead of Viktor."
That caused me to completely blush. "I...d-do you really mean that...?"
Yuri nodded and tucked a loose strand of hair behind my hair. "I would've married you in an instant. You're a beautiful young woman, Sarah. I understand how any young man would be enthralled by you. Heck, I even understand why Leo hits on you. Sure, it's a bit creepy, but he has his reasoning."
"I...thanks for being honest with me, Yuri. I...I think I'm ready for that Saturday. If it wasn't for you, I don't think I'd be ready."
Yuri nodded. "Of course, Sarah."

Yurio, please don't kill me for doing this, I thought to myself as I took a step closer to Yuri.
"Hm? Are you okay?" he asked, obviously a bit confused.
I didn't say a word, but I then pulled him in, and suddenly kissed him.
I could tell by the way that he tensed up that he was surprised, but he slowly relaxed, melting into the kiss.
When we broke from the kiss, both of our faces were red.
"Wh-what was that for...?"
"Think of it...as a thank you," I said catching my breath.
Yuri nodded. "Right then. Do you want me to walk with you back to your place?" he asked, almost as if nothing had just happened.
I nodded. "That would be nice. I mean, I'm not usually the type to feel insecure while walking down streets alone in the middle of the night, but I suppose having someone with you isn't too bad of an idea."
Yuri slightly chuckled. "You know Sarah, things like that make you so lovable. You have such an amazing sense of humor."
I slightly elbowed him. "That's enough, Yuri. We should really get going. It's already twenty past eleven, and I want to try and be home before midnight, all right?"
"All right," he said with a nod. "In that case, let's get going."
I nodded. "Right."
And with that, the two of us started to make our way back to our houses, leaving behind everything that had just happened.