Chapter Nine

When I opened my eyes, I was there.

This is the hallway that has been haunting my dreams. The others are nowhere to be found, so they must have gone inside already.

I walked down the corridor and stop in front of room 31. Here we go...

I turn the handle and walk in. To my utter surprise Chauntal runs up to me. "Is it true?!" She asks.

"What?" I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion.

"You have the ice heart!" She squealed. What the hell?

I looked around the room at all the familiar faces staring at me. "Ok what's going on?" I asked taking a step back. Chauntal's my friend, but anyone would be uncomfortable with how close she was standing.

"Blaze told us you have the ice heart. You know… the one of legend." She urged. Crap! The heart, the thief, I almost forgot! What if the thief is in this room...?

I glared at Blaze mentally asking her how she knew I had it.

Blaze shrugged, "Don't ask me. Freeze told me you had it. I just shared the information."

I turned my glare to Freeze. "I told her in confidence because she promised that she'd keep it a secret." She defended.

"How did you know about it?" I asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Summer told me." Great! How far has this thing travelled? Freeze seemed to read my thoughts and she continued, "Mother Nature told the seasons, one of which is Summer. Summer told me, and I told Blaze in confidence," She shot a glare at Blaze who just stuck her tongue out like a child, "and she told everyone else. Don't worry only the seasons and the people in this room know."

"So is it true?" Chauntal butted in once again. She always has to get the gossip.

"Partly..." I trailed off. They all sent me stares as if to say 'what-does-that-mean?' and so I continued, "I have half."

Brittany looked at me with wide eyes. I could tell she was wondering why I just told people who are probably trying to steal it that I have it, but it was all part of my plan. You see, if they know I have half, they’ll probably try to make their move, and if they somehow do succeed in getting it (highly unlikely due to my skills) they still won't have the other half. I smiled at her genuinely as if to say 'trust me'.

She reluctantly nodded her head and looked away while everyone else came closer to me.

"Let me see it!"

"Do you have it here?"

"Show me!" Everyone was yelling at the same time trying to see my necklace.

I opened my mouth to answer but was cut off by the door slamming loudly behind me. "Lexi... what have you done now?" A familiar and unwanted voice asked.

"Ah, just the person I wanted to see. How's it rolling Spring? Get it." I turned around to the familiar face. I had seen him once since they warned us about the ice heart and, in my true nature; I tormented him and brought down his over-inflated ego.

"Yes I get it." He said through gritted teeth.

"What are you doing here?" Brittany piped up from behind me.

Spring smirked at me, "Someone has to take this class with Lexi, and considering everyone else refused, I offered my help."

I scoffed, "More like said you'd do it in exchange for your father letting you go to that party tonight." He gave me a glare so I knew I hit it, spot on. I decided to tease him further. "Speaking of parties, who’s throwing the one this year?" I looked around at the class for effect and they burst out laughing.