Chapter 17

After dinner Kili and Dain returned to the throne room where they sat with Fili and Thorin. Primrose, Dis and Anifried went to the royal quarters where they spent time reminiscing about Fili and Thorin.

"What will you do now?" Primrose asked Anifried.

"I am not sure. It is going to take me time to come to terms with Fili's loss. He had promised to marry me after coming back from the quest you know," Anifried said.

"You aren't pregnant to him are you?" Dis asked.

"No of course I'm not as we never lay together. It wouldn't be proper," Anifried said.

Primrose dropped her hand to her belly suddenly feeling uncomfortable. She had no idea how Anifried would react if she knew that she was with child.

"I'm sorry you never had the chance to bear Fili's children," Primrose said softly.

Anifried began to sob again and Primrose moved to comfort her. Suddenly Anifried looked at her.

"Is... is that the motherhood braid in your hair?" she asked.

"Yes... Yes it is. Kili and I are having a baby. I'm 2 months pregnant," Primrose said.

"That's fantastic news! Congratulations," Anifried said.

"I'm to be a Grandmama? That's lovely," Dis said.

"Yes. Thorin and Fili will live on in our child," Primrose said.

"They must both have been so excited about the prospect of becoming an uncle and a great uncle respectively," Dis said.

"They were," Primrose said.

"I would have been an Aunty after I married Fili," Anifried said.

She started to sob again inconsolable about her loss.

Thorin and Fili lay in state for two days during which time many dwarves as well as others who had known Thorin came to view them. The dwarves also bowed respectfully to Kili and acknowledged him as their King. He was slowly coming to terms with now being King. When Gimli came to view the bodies he paid his respects then greeted Kili warmly.

"I can't believe it Kili. That you're now king and will be ruling us all. I always thought Fili would become King one day," Gimli said.

"That's what I thought too but Mahal had other ideas," Kili said, "I miss him terribly and I wish he was still here. The only thing that comforts me is that I'm to be a Papa in 11 months," Kili said.

"You're going to be a Papa? I didn't even know you were courting anyone let alone married. I know Fili was courting Anifried and she must be devastated," Gimli said.

"Yes I am. And I got married during the journey from Bag End to here. My wife is not a dwarf. She is a hobbit and the niece of the hobbit we had hoped would be our burglar," Kili said.

"Tell me more. What is her name? What did the others think of her? Did your Uncle approve of your marriage?" Gimli said.

"My wife's name is Primrose and no Uncle didn't approve. Kili found himself telling Gimli the whole story of their courtship and marriage and how Thorin had reacted to it.

"That's not right. Women are not punished with the armath taur! What was your uncle thinking? I hope you didn't hurt her," Gimli said.

"No I didn't she actually took 7 strokes of the armath taur without crying out," Kili said.

"And earned the right to use the armath taur," Gimli said.

Kili nodded.

"She hit me with it as it was only fair. That was after Uncle used it on me for not telling him that we were getting married. She wouldn't hit me any more than 7 times," Kili said.