Chapter 8

A few nights later Elrond, Thorin, Gandalf, Primrose and Kili met to look at Thorin’s map. It had to be looked at under a certain moon and as luck would have it the very same moon shone that night. The writing that showed up on it gave directions as to how to find the key hole in the door at the secret entrance to Erebor that matched Thorin’s key.

“Wow we haven’t got much time to get there. I guess we will have to leave fairly soon” Primrose said.

“We will,” Thorin said.

Primrose looked at Kili, concern on her face. She didn’t know how she would travel if she was pregnant. And there was the fact she’d be putting her unborn baby in danger. Kili gave her a reassuring look and put his hand on her arm, as if to say don’t worry about it. Obviously he had guessed what she was concerned about.

Thorin, Gandalf and Elrond discussed the quest for a while and then everyone returned to their quarters.

“Oh my love what if I AM pregnant. I could be putting our unborn child, your heir, in terrible danger,” Primrose said.

“I will protect you and that which grows within you if that is the case,” Kili said.

The dwarves remained in Erebor for two more weeks and during that time Kili and Primrose spent all their time together getting used to being a married couple. By the time the dwarves left Erebor Primrose was due her next bleed but it hadn’t arrived. She was also feeling nauseous in the mornings and her breasts were full and tender. After the first full day’s travel the company camped and Primrose went and spoke to Oin.

“I will have to examine you and see if you have any signs of pregnancy,” Oin said.

So he, Kili and Primrose went out of sight of the others and Primrose undressed and lay down on Kili’s jerkin. Oin knelt down by Primrose and began examining her.

“Kili, I will need to examine her internally is that ok with you? And may I examine her breasts?” Oin asked.

“Yes you may,” Kili said.

Primrose also gave her consent and the examination proceeded. At the end of it Oin told Primrose she could get dressed again then once she was dressed Oin smiled at Primrose and Kili.

“Without question you’re pregnant Primrose.  Congratulations both of you. Primrose how long does a hobbit carry her child?”

“We are pregnant for 13 months,” Primrose said.

“Dwarves carry for 24 months,” Oin said.

“I know, Kili told me,” Primrose said.

“As your child is half dwarf half Hobbit your pregnancy may last for 19 months which is longer than a hobbit pregnancy but shorter than a dwarf pregnancy,” Oin said.

He then went on to instruct Primrose on what herbs to use to help with the nausea and any other symptoms she might suffer from. Primrose would need to see Oin regularly for check-ups as her pregnancy progressed. Kili, Primrose and Oin returned to the camp and Fili came rushing up to Primrose and Kili.

“Well?” he asked.

“How does Uncle Fili sound,” Kili said.

“You mean?”

“Yes I’m going to be a papa,” Kili said.

“Mahal that’s wonderful,” Thorin said coming over.

“You will be Great Uncle Thorin,” Primrose said

“And Mama will be Grandmama,” Fili said.