Chapter 6

When Kili finally went to bed Primrose was still asleep. She stirred as Kili slipped into his bedroll which was as usual next to hers.

“How are you feeling my love,” Kili asked

“Very sore and very weak,” Primrose said.

Oin had checked her dressings just before Kili had gotten into his bedroll.

“I’ve got something I want to show you in the morning,” Kili said.

“I look forward to seeing it,” Primrose said.

She drifted back off to sleep then, her hand in Kili’s their fingers entwined.  When Kili woke the next morning Primrose was still asleep. She didn’t stir when Kili got up so he summoned Oin. He checked Primrose and found she had lost more blood during the night. She was still alive but only barely.

“I need kingsfoil. Did you see any growing nearby?” Oin said.

“I will find some,” Kili said.

He quickly dressed and went in search of the weed. Thorin instructed the other dwarves to help him look. Finally Fili found some of the weed and bought it back to Oin. He made a healing salve with it and applied it to Primrose’s wounds then re dressed them. She still didn’t stir and Oin told Kili that Primrose had fallen into a coma.

“Hopefully she will heal and come out of the coma,” Oin said.

The dwarves breakfasted and discussed the situation. There was no way Primrose would be able to travel any further until she came out of the coma.

“We will all remain in camp here until Primrose heals,” Thorin declared.

3 days later Primrose finally came out of the coma as she was beginning to heal. Kili was at her side and he smiled at her.

“Mahal Primrose I thought we were going to lose you. We were all worried about you. But the worst is past now,” Kili said.

“Am.. Am I going to live?” Primrose asked.

“Yes. Yes you are. Thank Mahal for that,” Kili said.

The other dwarves all expressed their relief that Primrose was ok.

A week later Primrose was well on the way to healing and was well enough to be able to ride. So the dwarves began travelling towards Rivendell again.  A few days before that she and Kili had gone for a walk as Kili wanted to talk to her on her own. They didn’t go far from the camp as the dwarves were very much aware that Azog and Bolg were still out there some where.

“Do you remember I told you had something to show you?” Kili asked Primrose.

“Yes you told me the night I slipped into the coma. I haven’t forgotten,” Primrose said.

Kili reached into a pocket of his travelling jacket and withdrew a small smooth green stone.

“This is a dwarven runestone. Mama gave it to me to remind me of my promise,” Kili said.

“What does it say?” Primrose said, seeing the runes carved into it.

“It means come back. And I promised Mama I’d come back,” Kili said.

“Where is your Mama,” Primrose asked.

“In the Blue Mountains with the rest of our folk. You’ll be able to meet her when they join us in Erebor,” Kili promised.

“She’ll be my mother in law then so I guess I’ll call her Mama too,” Primrose said.

“Are you saying what I think you’re saying?” Kili asked.