Insomnia

Aubrey had avoided Jack all day at school the next day. Wherever she usually met up with him in the hallway, she took a different a different route. It was another long day at school, since she hadn't gotten any sleep last night. When finally came Raf was sitting at their table, looking around excitedly. When he spotted Aubrey, he lit up like a spiky lightbulb.

"Aubrey- about yesterday-" he started when she sat down.

"No, Raf. What happened yesterday, never happened. It was cool and all, and I'd love to tell you everything I know but you're a target now. No one else can know about this, and you have to stay low." Aubrey said, her voice low. Raf blinked, frowning a little.

"But.."

"I'm serious, Raf. You could get hurt. Trust me.. I've seen someone a lot bigger and stronger than both us get hurt.." She sighed.

"Were they one of.. Them?" He blinked, looking around as if someone could hear them over the loud rumble of the kids in the cafeteria.

"He was. And.. And he didn't make it. That's why I was so worried the other day." Aubrey decided she should at least let Raf get it out of his system, so he wouldn't go spilling the beans to someone else.

"Oh.. Was he.. That car that picked you up every day..?" Raf asked cautiously. Aubrey nodded slowly, staring at her sand which. She didn't feel like eating anymore..

"His name was CliffJumper.." She sighed.

"He sounds cool.." Raf smiled gently.

"He was. And he fought until the very end.." Aubrey closed her eyes, leaning back in her chair.

"We don't have to talk about it.." Raf frowned, putting his small hand her arm. Aubrey flinched away, she had forgotten she hid her bandages under a long sleeve shirt cover by a T-shirt with Batman on it.

"S-sorry..! I didn't mean to-" Raf pulled away his hand, blinking rapidly.

"It's ok- you didn't know.." Aubrey's voice was strained, her arm was hurting a lot more now. She lifted her sleeve, the white, new, dry bandages growing a small dark red spot. When Aubrey asked Ratchet, he had said that Arcee had helped him put the bandages on Aubrey when she was unconscious. But Aubrey couldn't get Arcee's attention long enough to say thanks, or tell her what Cliff had said. She had disappeared into the training room after Optimus gave some new list orders for tomorrow, which Aubrey hadn't heard since she had been in the shower.

"That looks.. Bad.. How'd it happen? Yesterday?" Raf asked worriedly, Aubrey shook her head.

"No. I.. Can't tell you how I got it. Sorry.." Aubrey frowned, keeping secrets hurt more than her wound. Raf blinked, before giving a sad nod. He understood.

After that, Raf ate his lunch in silence. Aubrey just pushed her tray forward, not wanting to eat. She was too busy thinking about it all. Were the autobots going to take in Jack and Raf? Or was one human already enough for them to handle..? But the bell rang, yanking her from her thoughts. She put her tray away, smiling at Raf and waved goodbye, which fortunately he returned.

•••

"Aubrey!" Jack called from the other side of the hallway as the last bell rang out. Aubrey pretended not to hear, hurrying towards the door. But a group of slow walking snotty kids blocked her path as they babbled on about Jenny Keys cheating on Barry Simmons or something. Jack quickly caught up, whispering for only her to hear.

"I still didn't get any explanation about yesterday..!" He growled.

"Because I can't give you one." Aubrey replied curtly.