Lucid

Aubrey woke up with a start, eyes wide and breathing heavily. She was staring the ceiling, laying down in a... Hospital bed..? Aubrey sat up, looking around. She was at the autobot base, but it seemed empty.

"H...hello..?" She called weakly. No reply.

Aubrey sighed, looking down at her arm. It was wrapped in bandages, the blood had been cleaned away. She ran a finger gently across her cheek, feeling a smooth bandaid over her cut. She strained to remember how she got here, but her mind gave no answer. But what she did remember hit her like a train.

CliffJumper was dead.

Dead because of her.

Aubrey's heart felt pain as she thought about the bridge closing. It became obvious to her.

The decepticons had tried to pass through the bridge after Aubrey, and Cliff stayed behind to close it.

Damn it..! Damn it I screwed everything up..! She cursed herself, squeezing the bridge of her nose. She couldn't remember any faces from the ship except Cliff. How had her arm and cheek got cut again..? Wait-- that.. That bot threw everything off the table but.. She couldn't remember it all. Aubrey slowly slid off the bed, walking to her room to change her clothes. Her shirt had become sticky with blood- and it grossed her out. In a new, clean IronMan T-Shirt and shorts, she headed to the elevator. Maybe the others were on the roof... She had to talk to Arcee.

When Aubrey peeked up from the opening doors, she walked out quietly.

"If Cliff's gone sitting around sulking about isn't going to bring him back. So if you'll excuse me.. I'm going to go back to protecting humankind.." Arcee turned from the group, walking a few steps before transforming and driving away. Aubrey felt a stab of pain from the way she had said humankind, as if, she didn't actually want to...

"Optimus.. If we continue protecting humankind it will only lead to more tragedy..." Ratchet rumbled, pain in his expression. Aubrey's heart sank. Ratchet too..?

"Your opinion is noted." Optimus muttered. Aubrey felt tears well up again, but she didn't want the others to know she had over heard, so she snuck back into the elevators and into the base.

Trudging back to the hospital bed she sat down, resting her face in her hands and letting her feet dangle.

What am I doing..? I've been with the autobots for a month and one of them have already gotten one of them killed.. Primus- my dad's missing, ClifJumper's gone, what's next? Aubrey shook her head, and her feet stopped swaying. For a moment she sat in silence, letting the guilt start to consume her.

"I see you've woken.." Ratchet's voice snapped her from her thoughts, and she quickly wiped away any stray tears.

"Y-yeah.." She muttered.

"Are you feeling alright?" The medic asked. Aubrey nodded, going quiet. Ratchet paused, leaving an awkward silence between them.

"... It's my fault." Aubrey murmered, her head lowering. Ratchet blinked, but didn't say a word.

"If.. If I hadn't of been there, he would've left the bridge open so Arcee and Bee could've saved him.. But.. But he closed it to protect me.." Aubrey started shaking.

"You had no control over CliffJumper's actions. Whatever he did, it was his choice. And though it may he hard for you to talk about, we need you to tell us everything you remember." Optimus's voice boomed from behind Ratchet, and Aubrey looked up. Ratchet stepped back, unable to look her in the eyes. Aubrey frowned, when he said humankind.. Had he meant her specifically..?