Chapter 6: Breaking

TOLD YOU

TOLD YOU TO TRUST ME

HA

___________

Chapter 6: Breaking.

Grant Ward:

Mason Stark grew up in the eye of the public.

When the news came on about her existing, I was 8. I saw her being held by Tony Stark when my older brother and I were walking past a gas station and I felt bad for her.

I thought she was going to be lonly, seeing how she didn't have any siblings. I at least had my older and younger brother (of course, later my older brother turned to be a problem).

But I would see headlines about her, and I saw how happy she was with her father. I asked my older relatives how she could be happy with one family member bit they said it all depends on the love. 

Tony and Masons relationship inspired me to show that kind of love to my little brother. I was already doing that, but I wanted him to know that I was there. Emotionally and phsically.

So I guess that's why I didn't want to see her reaction to learning her father is dead.

-------

Abrams came in first, handing Mason a purple stuffed dog.

She looked at it questionly, but then realization dawned on her face and she curled it towards her chest, smelling it. She looked calmer some how.

Mrs.Pots was close to her, Coulson looking with sympathy. Both of them were dead and brought back.

Wheezy the dog laid at her feet, head in her lap begging for attention and poking the purple dog.

Coulson was the first to speak. "Well, first I would love to do the honors of saying welcome back."

Mason smiled and mouthed Welcome back from what?

He sighed and sat back. "From your...nap. You were sleeping for a while."

She rolled her eyes. "Well, no shit Sherlock." she whispered.

Her voice sounded scratchy, like a long-time smoker.

Coulson's features turned grim.

He's known Mason since she was 6, watching her grow with 'Iron Man'. He's seen all her achievements, all her accompliments. I wouldnt be surprised if he went to a birthday party or two.

So maybe that's why he's looking uneasy about telling her she was dead.

"When I mean awhile, I mean a long time." He sucked in a quiet breath.

"Two years. Well, two years and 3 months."

Masons eyes went wide, almost comically. I could see her mind halting, trying to catch up with it.

He motioned to Abrams. "Ollie?"

He came out from the corner and looked at Mason in her eyes. Brown.

"That's not all." He said.

Mason sucked in a breath, shook her head and gripped Mrs.Pots hand. From why I've seen, Mrs.Pots was her mother figure in her life. 

But she focused all her attention onto Abrams, daring him to tell her the next news.

"Is Steve dead?" she asked.

Her voice was almost in a normal volume, which surprised me. I saw her wincing, and I knew that hurt her.

Coulson sighed. "Yes."