Chapter 25

© ItalRT4u, 2012

     In case you’ve managed to formulate assumptions that Cane and I had done the nasty, you can take those thoughts and shove them up your butts.  Instead, we laid there, wrapped tightly around each other, enjoying our proximity, committing everything about each other to memory.  I know, I know, cheesy right?  No one truly understands this until they’re standing in the very spot, in this very life-altering situation as I am right in this moment. 

     Cane left me with words of love and kisses that lingered all over my face.  The ladies of the house stood idly by as we watched our men drive away.  I couldn’t help the tears as I was surrounded with such worry that it all became too overwhelming for my empathic self.  Even Carly seemed to be bothered by their departure. 

     I wonder what happened last night with those two. 

     I made a mental note to find out; after all, I could use the distraction right about now.

     Two days had passed and promises to call and check in were broken.  I couldn’t help the unsettling feeling that coursed through me as I slipped into bed on this dark, moonless night.  I felt like a storm was coming; one of monstrous proportions.  I craved, no, scratch that, I needed to hear from someone.  To be honest, I had given up on waiting a day and a half ago – giving into my urge to hear from them, I had dialled each and every one of their cell-phones – to no avail.  Again, last night, my attempts at contact had failed and tonight, on my third night without any reassurances, I found myself wide awake, yet exhausted with worry.

     I hadn’t realized that I had managed to fade into a restless sleep until I was rudely awakened by the front door slamming shut and thunderous footsteps rushing up the stairs.  I rushed out of bed and hid behind the bedroom door, ever at the ready should anyone dare intrude the confines of my room. 

     The silhouette was evidently that of a man’s.  He began to slowly creep towards the bed and paused whence he realized no one was there.  That’s when I pounced on him, a beautifully executed round-house kick to the side of his knees sent him tumbling to the floor, his head hitting first, knocking him out instantly.  I rushed to the bedside lamp to shed some light on the scene – I wasn’t ready for what I saw.  There on my floor laid Cane, sprawled out.  My hands flew up to my mouth, muffling the surprised, yet shocked squeal that came out of me.  I let myself drop to the floor at his head and cradled it onto my lap, worried that perhaps he’d hit his head too hard.  I closed my eyes and cursed myself for not paying closer attention before, tears burning but I refused to let them come.

     “Not the kind of welcome home I was looking for.”  He mumbled which made my eyes snap open and stare at him with remorse; light footsteps made their way up the stairs to what I presumed to be the rest of the men.

     “I’m so sorry.”  I whispered.  “It’s just…” my voice trailed.

     “I was practically begging for it, barrelling in here in the middle of the night.”  He cupped my cheek, looking up at me upside down with a sweet smile on his face.  I helped him to his knees, facing me.

     “Still,” I paused.  “I’m so sorry, Baby.”  I peppered light kisses over his face, making him chuckle as he pulled me into him – a hold, a hug that soothed each and every nerve of mine, making me forget of the exhaustion and worry I had been suffering through since their departure.  Eventually, he got up and pulled me with him, picking me up and laying me down, he rushed to his side, stripping himself down to his boxers, he crawled in beside me, pulling me into his chest – a sigh escaping him.