Chapter 13

© ItalRT4u, 2012

     I had been shifty for the rest of the day, avoiding Cane as much as possible thanks to Sandra.  This had definitely been a day to top all days from a news standpoint.  Needless to say, I never felt any more insecure about who I was as a person – I mean, who was I?  Everything I was; everything I’ve done; none of it was ever truly me now was it?  I sat here, on the edge of the bed remembering the conversation I had with Cane’s mother earlier…

     I sat down in the garden as we had the previous day.  I was feeling nervous and when Sandra finally sat across from me, I had realized that I was inadvertently feeling some of her nervousness.

     Damn empathic abilities!  Can’t you ever go off on holidays for once!

     I shifted in my seat, waiting for this conversation to start.  I had the distinctive feeling that this one was going to be an awkward one for the record books.

     “Sweetie,” Sandra began and smiled; “you remember the talk we had yesterday about how you felt for Cane?”  I nodded in comprehension and urged her to keep going.  “Uh...”  She rubbed her hands, palms down onto her thighs.  This was evidently tough for her.  “This is a conversation a mother has with her daughter.  Please bear with me on this one.”

     “Whatever it is, I’m sure it’s not as bad as you think it is.”  I tell her, patting the top of her right hand that still lay on her lap.

     “It’s not bad.  It’s just I never thought I’d be having this conversation with my son’s girlfriend.”  She blushed slightly.

     “Oh?”  I looked at her, my eyes widening in slight comprehension as to where this conversation was heading; her nerves beginning to get the better of me along with herself.

     “It’s about you being a Royal and your match.”  She said.  “How you become truly matched.”

     “I know it has something to do with the first touch of the succubus and then there’s…”  My voice trailed off momentarily as I struggled to get my bearings.  “Sex.”  I said almost at a whisper.  Imagine my predicament of having to speak about sex, nonetheless with my boyfriend’s mother of all people!  It kind of freaked me out.  Then again, no one knew more about all of this than she and Will.

     “We’re not in the nineteenth century and I know how things go.”  She began.  “I know that you’ve both been together.”  I felt my heated blush come over me.  “But I also know that the royal matching wasn't completed.”

     Sandra had told me about the royal bonding process.  I couldn’t help but wonder if Cane knew about any of this.

     “No.  He caught his father and me discussing you and your being Royal this morning and he had us explain a bit to him before you all left for the gym.  Other than that, he doesn’t know anything other than the fact that you're of royal descent.”  She tells me.

     “I see.”  I said, pondering.  “So what you’re telling me is that even though Cane and I are matched, we haven’t completed the process?”  She nodded.

    “You need to complete the first series of the process on the first full moon after you've happened upon your match.”  She explained.  “If not, then all will be lost; from a Royal perspective.”  She dropped the bomb on me.  Talk about pressure cooker!

     A knock on my door was what shook me out of the memory of my earlier conversation with Cane's mother.