Chapter 12

© ItalRT4u, 2012

     As always, it had been a bright and early morning of training at the community gym.  I had found out, shortly after meeting Cane’s brothers that Patrick was the one that manages this establishment; as much as I still cursed him for allowing us round-the-clock access to this first-rate facility, part of me was thankful.  Truthfully, I could have used a day off but knowing a little more about what I was dealing with, after yesterday's incident with running off and nearly being abducted by Gage, I knew I definitely could use the training.  Cane had voiced that he had been impressed with the way I had handled myself but nonetheless advised that my feminine wiles might not always be useful to get me out of every tight situation.  I was taking this morning's training session much more seriously than I had taken all my others from the past week.  Even Patrick and Andy had joined us for some training.

     My mind wasn't in the game this morning; possibly due to the lack of sleep last night or my mind being elsewhere.  I missed the girls, Sahara in particular; and I couldn't help but worry about Carly, who was now officially on her own in Chatham Falls.

     Maybe I'd call Sahara up and get her to check up on Carly.

     “Payton!  You need to focus!”  Cane stated in an exasperated fashion after I had been sent to the floor mats another dozen times.  Shaking it off, I got back up and braced myself; my body still aching from last night.  Just then, the gym doors opened and four colossally menacing men walked in; looking for what seemed like a score to settle.  I knew this couldn’t be good.  Andy and Patrick came to flank Cane and I on the mats.

     “I suggest you turn around and walk back out where you came from.  You’re not welcomed here.”  Patrick growled.

     “Relax Cujo!”  The tallest of the four said.  “We’re simply conveying a message.”

     “And... What is it?”  Cane crossed his arms over his chest, stepping slightly forward so that I was now behind him as Andy pulled me back while he and Patrick were now standing in front of me, forming a wall of muscle.

     What was that for?

     “You better watch her.”  That same tall goon told us, nodding toward me.  “She’ll be with us before you know it.”  The other three chuckled at Cane whose fists had balled tightly with his continuously building fury, his body rigid.

     “She’s MINE!”  He growled at them.

     “I hear she’s found her match.  Is that right Sweet Cakes?”  He glanced over at me and back to Cane.  I didn’t say or do anything that would give him the answer he was searching for but I knew he didn’t need confirmation.  Word travelled fast and I was sure that Gage was somehow attached to this morning’s events.

     “You know, I can satisfy you more than he can.”  He freakishly wagged his disgusting tongue at me as I quickly averted my eyes from the scene, chills running down my spine, nausea washing over me.

     “I suggest the four of you run along.”  I said, my gaze sternly trained on them again and my mouth spitting fire with those words.  “I’m not yours, nor will I ever be.  I would rather die than go freely with you.”

     “That can be arranged but what a loss it would be.”  The tall guy said licking his lips as he eyed me from head to toe.  “Come on boys.”  He turned to leave, the other three stood there, sizing me up as he had, smirks prominently displayed on each one of their faces.  “I’ll get a piece of that sweet ass soon enough and then it’ll all be over.”  The other three followed suit and when they had disappeared from where they came, the leader turned around to face us one last time after he had let his men leave before him.