Chapter 14

© ItalRT4u, 2012

     What does he mean ‘succeeded’?  I asked myself as he stared at the pair of us with a smirk, as if knowing a joke that Cane and I had yet to catch on to. 

     Between hearing Cane’s brothers arguing downstairs, their mother trying to put an end to their feuding, and feeling frustration and anger with my empathic abilities, I was beginning to get a headache.  Cane didn’t seem like he was fairing so well either.  He was growing pale and his fists were balled; knuckles white with the pressure of his own grip as he tried to deal with whatever he suddenly found himself being overwhelmed with.  Cane’s eyes found mine as I looked at him with worry.  He reminded me of myself when I had first come into my empathic abilities and I knew from things Cane had told me about his abilities that what I had found myself dealing with was similar to what gifts he had been born with. 

     But it couldn’t be, could it?  Shaking the thought off, I had realized that I wasn’t hearing Andy and Patrick arguing anymore and that in itself graced me with enough peace to gather my thoughts and begin processing all of this. 

     I got up and rushed to Cane who seemed like he was now about to start crying.  I myself was feeling the emotion, but being too flustered with the rush to my other senses, I couldn’t quite pinpoint where it was all coming from.

     “Look at me.”  I said as I stood in front of him, grabbing his face between my palms.  He did as I asked.  “Breathe deeply and try and shut your mind from everything around you.  Picture yourself building a wall between you and what you’re feeling.”  He closed his eyes and concentrated on it for a moment using every trick I had given him; tricks I had learned from my supposed father – the only one I've ever known.  In the meantime, Sandra had come into our room; hugging Will from behind.  The air filled with a scent. 

     What the-?  Was that arousal? 

     I looked wide-eyed to Will and Sandra and my core began to warm slightly.  I used my empathic abilities to feel exactly what I had smelled; yep, arousal. 

     Ugh...  Seriously?  Who could be turned on at a time like this?

     I looked back at Cane and found him smirking at me as it appeared his struggles had calmed down; everything was in check.  Sandra stood in front of her husband who now had his arms wrapped around her, hugging her tightly to him.  I was still aware of the smell in the room which was growing heavier and more pungent and try as I might, I couldn’t make its stench dissipate or ignore it in the slightest; as a matter of fact, the urge to jump Cane was growing with each and every passing second.  To give you an answer to my earlier question, apparently I can be turned on at a time like this.  Cane lightly rubbed my arms soothingly in an up and down motion as they hung limp at my sides; I was slowly melting and the last thing I needed was to go feral on this gorgeous piece of man that stood in front of me while his parents stood there.  I felt like a bitch in heat.

     My head snapped at Will who was now chuckling and Sandra noticed the look in my eyes and immediately tapped his arm so he’d stop.

     “Explain.”  I told him in a slightly harsh and demanding tone.  Under any other circumstance, I'd have said that my eyes were deceiving me but I could have sworn that Will stood a little straighter at my command.  I’m sure some day I’d laugh about all of this but right now, I was freaked out to say the least, not to mention slightly insulted that we hadn’t been made aware of this happening.

     It just so happens that a Royal and her Royal Match exchange their abilities and share them once they’ve succeeded at the bonding.

     “I knew it had worked when I came in and saw your eyes.”  Will stated.  “You have the royal coloring in them now.”  Cane and I looked at each other over my shoulder as I sat on his lap, on the edge of our bed.