Chapter 30

© ItalRT4u, 2012

     Somehow, in the middle of our evening, someone had let themselves into the basement where Gage was being held and they had freed him.  We found ourselves running through every possible scenario, trying to figure out who would be capable of doing this?  We knew that we had Fae present that weren’t entirely fond of the idea of having a Royal in their midst – curiosity dictating their need to see a Royal in the flesh I suppose.  My mind floated to that woman whose eyes seemed a little too familiar – something bothered me about her and I couldn’t quite put my finger on it.  Sure, there had been a few others but she stuck out in my mind. 

     Those eyes.

     “Come out with it.”  Cane said softly, bringing me out of my reverie after we had found ourselves in Angus’ den.

     “I- Uh…  I was just thinking.”  I stuttered.

     “About?”  My match eyed me studiously.

     “It could just be my imagination but there was this one woman.”  I explained.  “Her eyes.”  I let out a loud breath.  “They were so familiar, like I’ve seen them before.”

     “You’ve seen one of our guests before?  Where?”  Angus eyed me curiously; seriousness displayed onto his features, lacing his every syllable.

     “It’s not her per se, it’s her eyes.”  I said ponderously and then it clicked suddenly.  “But it can’t be!”  I exclaimed to myself, trying to make more sense out of it all.  How could I have been that stupid?  I had stared into those eyes numerous times – when Gage and I had been an item.

     “What is it?”  Angus pushed an irritated tone ever so present.  Cane’s hand landed on my lap, its electrical impulses bringing me out of my personal pondering session.

     “Huh?”  I looked up in a slight daze.  “Oh.  Uh…  Angus, what happened to Gage’s mother?”

     “I never heard from her again after she took off for America.”  He divulged; the disgust evident in his words.  Cane noticed the slight look of alarm that washed over my face.

     “What’s the matter?”  He asked.

     “I think she was here but it doesn’t make sense.  Gage told me she had died.”  I tell the two of them.  “You didn’t see her around last night?”  I knew that it was futile to even ask that.  There had been so many people around that it was next to impossible to meet and greet everyone.  Angus’ shake of the head, indicating the negative proved my suspicions true.

     “If there’s one thing I know now and wished I knew before I married her is that she’s quite the conniving bitch.”  Angus stated bitterly as if he would have been able to prevent his urges to renounce his match and remain alone all these years.

     The Nottingham’s had left without Cane and I.  Angus assured them that we’d be fine and back to them on the next flight out.  After making a few calls, he had everyone that he could possibly rally on the lookout for Gage but I had a sneaking suspicion that he would be back in the United States.  That thought was far from comforting to be honest; it only meant that I could expect to see him again in the future.  Today was supposed to be the last time – he was supposed to suffer his fate and that was it.  Unfortunately, it wasn’t the case anymore.  Angus was slowly realizing that Lana, Gage’s mother, couldn’t have acted alone.

     “She might be conniving but there’s the fact that she wouldn’t have been able to stand around and get rid of the two guys I had on watch duty and free her spawn.  Someone else had to have helped her.”  Angus stated.  Cane nodded in agreement.  We had been given the tour of where they kept their traitors and delinquents; it wasn’t an easy place to escape from, that much could be easily said.