A Nerd Convention, Dear No One

"You're going to a dork convention. Why are you so worried about what to wear?"

Kevin's voice echoed through my quiet room, giving me more time than I liked to think about what he said.

I set the second outfit I had laid out back in the closet and sighed, rubbing my cheeks with the heels of my hands.

"I don't know. I. . . I. . . it's Cain." I finally mumbled, throwing myself on to my bed. Kevin smiled a little, shaking his head.

"So? He's just another guy, Kasey." He moved toward me, "And come on, if he's taking you to a dork convention, he obviously doesn't care how you're dressed. He likes you for you." I nodded, sighing again as I ran my hand along the t-shirt beside me, my eyes meeting my older brother's.

"I know. I. . . it's been a long time since I've been on a date, Kevin. I barley even remember what I'm supposed to do. And. . . and Steph was always here for me." I shook my head to myself, wiping my sweaty palms on my sweatpants.

"Follow your own advice, sis." Kevin crouched down in front of me, "Be yourself. Cain knows the Kaser I do, that nobody else does. He knows the you that's perfect, smart, and beautiful. And if he thinks he can hurt you, I'll kill him." He said it so nonchalantly and playful that I almost thought he was joking. The warning look in his eyes assured me it was far from a joke.

"Thanks." I leaned forward and hugged my older brother, feeling a slight tug on my heart.

Kevin hadn't ever really been here to give me pep-talks. We hadn't ever been close when were kids. It had always been Tommy that supported me, that was always there when I needed him. It was as if, once he. . . died, that Kevin had stepped up and taken his place.

"Sure. Just make sure you don't get too many of those nerds excited." He nudged me playfully before walking out of the room, shaking his head in amusement to himself.

*

"Why is he dressed as Captain America?" I whispered, leaning against Cain. He raised an eyebrow in my direction, a hint of a smirk playing on his lips.

"It's a Comic-Con, Kasey." he was laughing at me, his amused eyes roaming my face as warmth spread through my cheeks.

"Sorry, I've never been to one of these things." I muttered, embarrassed. He tightened his grip around my waist and shook his head as we passed through another large crowd of people in front of a vendor.

"I feel so under dressed." I joked after a few minutes of silence. He gestured toward the Batman shirt he was wearing.

"You're not, don't worry. Everybody else is just overdressed." I nodded, glancing up in surprise when we slowed to a stop. Cain untangled his arm from my waist and stepped away for a second, engulfed in a crowd of people dressed as superheroes. I shifted awkwardly on my feet, waiting for him to appear again.

It was odd, seeing the cool and mysterious Cain actually have a completely unseen nerdy side I'd never known about. He had known every costume, vendor, panel. It was as if he'd been coming to this thing his entire life.

"Kase, come over here!" Cain peeked out from behind a couple, stand in front of a booth with drawings hanging everywhere around the puke green haired boy and pink haired girl sitting behind it.

I slipped through the couple and stopped beside Cain. He was holding a drawing of a rose, a beautiful one at that.

"Wow, a beautiful girl without any make-up on?" Green haired guy commented, laughing, "What are you doing here?"