Chapter 20...Little Sorceress

Outside, rain trickled down in bucketfuls from gloomy grey skies. A little girl sat shivering in front of a golden fire, drenched from head to toe. Her light pink hair fell in clumps about the fuzzy cream blanket she pulled, large eyes dabbed with blush and a colorless drop tracing down her cheek. She looked to the side, as if sensing the progression of sentences as the words closed in on her pale-violet shade eyes. The vast library stretched like a dome from all sides of the fireplace, half a wall dedicated to one massive window besides which a set of comfy chairs and sofas stood. Just besides that was a stack of books piled beneath a stool, facing a massive iron cauldron, empty at the moment, surroundings scattered with various small containers. A glass crystal holding the voice of a mermaid, orange fizz in an hourglass.

Silvia punched a small crack in her fuzzy cocoon, just enough to point a small wooden wand at the fire, chattering teeth trying to mumble an incantation. Failing, Silvia quickly pulled back inside, curling up with a brrrr.

She looked to her sister with pleading puppy dog eyes. If she had a tail, it would be pressed between her legs right now.

"Oh, come on!" The blonde cooed, craning her neck to see the girl over her work. "You can do it; try harder!"

The child inhaled, then sighed with a tiny sneeze. Her purple eyes never left the spot where she'd last seen her sister disappear. The tiny golden bell was pulled into the air by the young sorceress's pleas, forcing to swivel back and forth and back again alone in the air until till it forced a RING A DING DING.

Within moments, you found yourself to her side.

"Yes, young mistress?" The servant of ginger-ale bowed. You'd tried to stomp out the name. It never quite worked.

"Veronica's letting me freeze to death!" The younger sister wailed, plopping herself down at your feet.

Despite yourself, your face cracks a smile. If you weren't bound by heart and existence to the bell in her twiggy hands, there was no way on this earth you'd be standing here right now.

"I'm afraid your sister's in charge right now, Young Miss. My hands are tied." You made a game out of wiggling your hands in front of you, a kerchief binding wrist to wrist. The young miss was not having it.

"I want a towel! And dry clothes!"

"Let her be. She has to learn eventually." Came the more mature voice of Veronica.

"Sis!" The pink-haired sorceress cried, shivering profusely in the night. Knowing the way she acted on a normal day, you didn't feel at all for those pleading violet eyes. She looked the splitting image of your graceful creator, yet held not a speck of her reserved poise, nor her commanding voice that could send feuding armies to a halt with its humble nobility.

"Get me something warm! Anything!" Silvia demanded, wrapping her soiled self about your arms, pulling you forward like she really was the mistress of this house.

"Will a coffee do?"

"I don't drink coffee." She retorted, sending shivers of all levels of disgust down your spine. "Cocoa! Hot cocoa!" How could somebody ever treasure a taste so rudely bombarded with sugar that the smell itself consisted of nothing else? That, you did not care to know. Having no protest from the older one, you made your way out the door.