Chapter8...Resurrection by Unicorn

An unknown entity, alien to this world and those all about it.

"Oh please just go away. Please, this once..."

Just like that, in a whirlwind of balled up thoughts and colors, bubbling sounds and lights just like the day I met you. Just like that, at the same place, at the same dear time of day-you were brought back to me...

It was shortly after the rain stopped.

I sat at the base of the mountain, just across the stream. My white dress was pulled up a little so it wouldn't get dirtied from the mud. It was the year after my horn grew in, a thin white cone that stretched upwards in a bump right above my forehead, high enough to be engulfed by hair but still swimming at the edge of the hairline. My curly pink hair was messily scattered. Once again, I'd subconsciously undone the neat braid mother always made. My ears flicked once or twice whenever the wind brushed by. They were still sensitive, every sound pulled them off course-along with my curiosity.

The forbidden mount.

At some point, a year ago, more like three. There was another little (girl/boy) in this forest, quite unlike me.

Blue like the sky, pink as flesh. Us two were inseparable from the time we met, always startling awake the sleepy forest day after day. We did some fun things, some daring things, some things that could get us into a lot of trouble.. but it was fun, you know?

My name was Lotte, like milk.

I was a unicorn, just like my mom, dad, and all my cousins, aunts, and uncles. We had fun in this forest, that (girl/boy) and I. Sure, we searched for treasure in the caves of dragons who were very much alive and well at the time. We dined with faeries and spent the next few weeks at home with a high fever because the scrumptious tarts and teas had pinned us down with that one feast, sent our minds into paranoia like some sort of addictive drug. We played cruel jokes on friends and family, but it was all in good fun. At the end of the day, we were alive. We were happy.

And then came the mountain.

Above, the screech of a hawk. They were near. I pulled my dress down back down, gathering up my things. Bow in one hand, the other reached towards an arrow, ready to aim as my milky pink eyes scanned the sky, clearer than ever.

It came and went. A small flame of yellow, making a single, rough circle in the sky just beyond the trees before hurrying back, like an asteroid but with more of a shape, with a beak, feathers and wings. My heart raced against the walls of my collapsing chest as I watched with my back pressed up against the trees, the only thoughts going through my head being how vulnerable I seemed with these white clothes in the middle of the forest, how utterly stupid of me it was to spend time to relax out in the open when my very life was at stake.

I stayed like that for a while, sweat running down my forehead, eyes spread wide as I scanned the sky. One... two.. three..

The blue moon. Normally, it only came at night. But in as the years had passed, things had gone amiss, one by one. Miss moon rose up high in the sky, loud and proud in the middle of the day. My eyes watched it. Watched it for dear life. Anytime. Anytime now.

I missed you so much.

Before the skirmishes, before the fights, before the goals and ideals of races grew into a full-blast war.

My legs were trembling now, a few bandaged wounds still remaining from the last time i'd tried this.

My hands went cold. A shiver ran down my horn, all the way down to my tail, leaving a sour, faded sensation in my legs. I looked up. Just like last time and a couple before that, the moon was a crisp, chilly blue. Like you.

How long did these blue moons come, anyways?

I took neither the time to ask, nor the time to ponder. Racing for my life, I crossed the stream with one single jump of my bare feet. It hurt a little when I landed. The ground was uneven and rough, and in no way did I make it without a few seconds of slipping and sliding, catching back balance. But I didn't stop. I didn't stop to look up into the sky. This time, I didn't try to silence the breaths that came in pailful gasps out of a mouth gaped wide. I didn't bother with the splinters that adorned my hands from climbing up that long, wide tree earlier. Mares weren't made for climbing.

It took me an unnecessarily long time to cross the stream, last time. Last time, the stream had been all the way up to my neck. Now, it was just below the chest.

I'd grown a lot in the time we've been apart. My legs, especially, were now longer, stronger, more used to running. I reached the end. The end of the safeland, the end of the border. Just on a blue moon, it would be shattered. With magic as weak as mine, I could shatter it all.

It was easy, so easy..

Too easy...

Before I knew it, I was where I stand now.

Looking up into the sky, a flash of light tearing away from the blue as if it was only a thin leaf, ripping little seams in the sky that bubbled like the ocean, letting out little sounds like laughter upon every pop, filling the sky with a color like rainbows.

"Y/n!!!"

Three years ago, you ran away to the mountains and never came back. That was around the time the border was put up, the shield that split our world right in half. I didn't know about the moon back then, about the way everything was slipping away. But I could tell something was wrong. Heavens, I knew you were hiding something bad. But I didn't even ask. I didn't reach a finger, till it was too late...

I reached out for your figure, arms trembling as the corner of my eyes caught the forest moving towards us. Of course, they'd noticed it, too. But I didn't care. I had to see you, I'm sorry. I NEEDED to see you.