Chapter 2...Drowned Elf

The voice was soft and quiet, a whisper uttered from the lips of the tiny huggle bug you found squinting up at you without a care in the world.

"Hi..."
⚜♢ ⚜♢ ⚜♢ ⚜♢ ⚜♢ ⚜♢ ⚜♢ ⚜♢ ⚜♢ ⚜♢ ⚜♢ ⚜♢ ⚜♢ ⚜♢ ⚜♢

"Hey, have you heard?"

"The story about the little girl who drowned in the stream, a year long ago when it was full and flooded."

"They say you can still see her, you know."

"On days like this, a white gibbous moon waning in the Autumn sky, on a night where you could see the stars."

"A little girl with long blue hair, wrapped in raggish blanket after blanket to try and shield from the cold."

"They say she'll go up to people searching for her family, that you won't even know she's a ghost till you reach the end of that gate there..."

"Then she just....vanishes."

⚜♢ ⚜♢ ⚜♢ ⚜♢ ⚜♢ ⚜♢ ⚜♢ ⚜♢ ⚜♢ ⚜♢ ⚜♢ ⚜♢ ⚜♢ ⚜♢ ⚜♢

Noel walked up to the edge of the white stone bridge, having to stand on the very tips of her toes to watch the shadows of coy fidget every so often beneath the water. The little stream was shallow nowadays, barely knee-deep for adults, up to the waist of the little girl.

The elfen child looked around. It was pitch-black now, probably as late as midnight. Streetlights lit the dark greenery with faint balls of light too high up to help. Most people had abandoned the park by now, leaving Noel alone, sleepy eyes squeezing shut at every rustle of a leaf, unaware of where she was or how she got here.

SSSHHHHH

The wind blew against the child's long blue hair. Same color as her eyes, let to fall loosely against her old white dress and the ugly green jacket that was a size or two too small for the growing child. It was a cold night. The moon was out, and the stars were clear to see. The little munchkin pulled herself up onto the side of the bridge, slowly but carefully planting her behind on it so she could swing her feet back and fourth off the edge, big overfed fishies taking their swim beneath.

"Night-night, fishies.."

The little girl yawned, rubbing her eyes as her consciousness began to drift. Slowly, the little body began to lean, to sway. Upwards...relaxed..upwards...relax....up until she fell asleep altogether, falling down off her seat, falling to what would have been her end but instead being caught by the jerkful motion of a hand gripping her upper arm, dragging her back onto solid ground. The sleepy elf's eyes opened, squinting in the nonexistent lighting. There was a person standing there.