Chapter 12...Angel Messed Up

One more.

Come on, just one more, you can do it.

No. Please no. PLEASE. IM BEGGING YOU, YOU IDIOT!

It hurts...

It burns! It burns it burns it burns!!!

Tears streamed down the young creature's face as she finally pulled herself up and onto the sturdy concrete, bare feet struggling and slipping and scraping against the water-soaked drain till her entire body was finally pulled all the way up.

The dark-pink eyes winced, rain-soaked black eyelashes blinking over and over into the fog to try and see what was right in front of her, black hair messily hanging down in clumps as the wind blew hard against her trembling body. She had the appearance of a twelve-year old. Somewhere around there. Not exactly a young child but not a young lady, either. That awkward stage in between. Kuro sat herself down at the edge of the water ditch, exhausted, every little inch of her aching as she looked over herself, head stumbling and falling from side to side occasionally as if her neck couldn't even hold it up properly. Eventually she gave in, allowing her body to fall to the ground with a soft thud. It wasn't too bad. She was still in one piece, for one. Her once gleaming-white wings were now soiled black against her cloth-covered back, like the way a piece of paper crumbled as it was consumed by a hungry flame. It hurt like it. It wouldn't be long before the fire itself was gone, too.

In any case, she was starved. Kuro'd been up early and hadn't had a single meal. As a result, her stomach complained stubbornly. Raising a fragile hand up to her face, the girl rubbed her eyes. This wouldn't do. The warm, golden light of her halo no longer hung by the air over her head, and try as she may she wouldn't be able to conjure up a single spell in this horrid state. Forcing herself up to her knees, she squinted down to the half-burnt arrow she'd scavenged away. In another world, she may have used it to an advantage. Just a simple prick, and her pain would have been lifted away. In the realm of mortals, however, it was reduced to nothing. Not even its once beautiful golden glow, like her halo, remained. It was just a wooden piece of trash.

Curse it. Curse it all. Curse this stupid world!

The pitiful being reached a patch of grass, her limbs collapsing from under her, watery mud and sticky grass breaking her fall. She was drained. She knew this body would be rendered useless to some extent, but this was way more than she'd expected. Trapped in the hazy mist of the icy rain, Kuro shifted a shaking bruised hand to touch her shoulder, towards the very back, as far as it would dare to go. She could still feel the soft touch of her wings, though they hurt. Even her arms hurt. It was like they were taking her energy, spilling poison into her blood. Helplessly lying at the edge of the ditch, the female felt her head start to fail her and her senses black out. It was cold, too cold. The girl reached out her hand to the metal fencing, wrapping her fingers around one of the coils just because that was the only thing in sight she could reach. Even the warm white of her clothes was dyed to a cold and despicable black.