Chapter 13

New Year's Eve

2002

"Hermione, do we have anything left back in the stockroom?" George called across the shop.

Fred glanced behind him and bit his lip, attempting not to laugh at the threatening look on his girlfriend's face. To her credit, she did not curse his twin into oblivion. She kept her composure and humored George with another stock check, though she may have wrenched the curtains back a bit more violently then she would have on a normal day.

Hermione was up and going with him bright and early that morning, gathering up the last of their meager inventory from the flat and his dad's workshop. They got to the shop at six, opened the doors at seven, and hadn't sat down since. Angelina was working the register for them until the afternoon, and then Ginny would finish out the less busy part of the day. Hermione would be leaving when Ginny arrived, as she had said she had a few last minute things to take care of before the party.

A minute later, Hermione stalked back out to the shop and over to George.

"Aside from a considerable litter of dust bunnies, this is all that is left of your pyrotechnic paraphernalia," she said, thrusting a pack of Wet-Start Sparklers at George.

"I'll take them!" a customer cried. Hermione changed direction and handed them off to the waiting patron, who hurried off with the sparklers like they were gold.

Fred watched as Hermione ducked behind the shelves of a deserted aisle. When she didn't re-emerge, he went to investigate. He found her crouched down, resting against the shelf, with her head leaned back and eyes closed. He smiled and sat down beside her. As soon as his back touched the shelf, Hermione leaned her head against Fred's shoulder.

"So, we have nothing left in the form of fireworks?" Fred asked.

"Not unless you want to dip into your personal stash for this evening and risk a throttling from Lee," Hermione answered.

Fred chuckled and kissed the top of her head. "Why don't you head out? I'm going to hang a sign that says we're sold out of fireworks and that should significantly cut down on the chaos. It won't be long before Ginny is here."

As if on cue, Angelina's voice floated through the store, "Hey Ginny!"

"Oh good, she's here now," Hermione said. She quickly kissed Fred's cheek and pushed herself back to her feet. Fred slowly stood and followed Hermione to the counter, where his sister was attempting to heave herself onto the stool with a look of utmost determination. Hermione gripped Ginny's elbow, attempting to give her some extra leverage.

"Thanks Min," Ginny breath, clutching her middle.

"Are you still having cramps?" Hermione asked, a worried look plaguing her face as she studied Ginny's face.

"Yeah, off and on," Ginny replied. She waved off Hermione's unspoken advice, saying, "But it's fine. Just more Braxton Hicks driving me insane."

"Maybe we should go to the hospital and make sure," Hermione suggested.

Fred groaned and Ginny gave him an understanding look. The three of them had been to St. Mungos five times in the last two weeks because of these Braxton Hicks contractions. According to the girls, it was false labor and was just Ginny's body practicing for the big day. Whatever it meant, it certainly had Hermione on edge and left them all exhausted.

"Okay," Hermione relented, patting Ginny's hand. "Just remember, you let us know right away-"

"Yeah, yeah, I know. Now, go on. Go get ready for your night." Ginny gave her best friend a playful shove towards the door.