Chapter 9

November 2002

The weeks that followed were full of shameless flirting that filled Hermione's stomach with fluttering butterflies. The only problem was that it never seemed to progress past flirting. Just when Hermione thought things might go to the next level, Fred seemed to suddenly back off and leave her hanging. It was driving her crazy! Their latest morning exchange was replaying in her mind when a memo zoomed into her office and kept bumping against her head until she snatched it out of the air.

The note was from her supervisor, Declan Peterson, asking to see her in his office after lunch that day. Hermione groaned and tossed the note aside. It was a Friday and all she wanted to do was get through the work day and go. She was spending the night at Ginny's place. Fred would be working late nights with George as they continued to churn out fireworks, preparing for the holiday rush. Hermione didn't want to spend the entire weekend in an empty flat and Ginny was going crazy trying to clean the house, so Hermione was going to go help her clean the high areas that George had deemed off limits for her.

After her lunch break, Hermione made her way to her supervisor's office and knocked on the door.

"Come in," Declan called.

Hermione opened the door and took a step in. "Hi, Mr. Peterson. You wanted to see me?"

"Yes, Hermione. Please, sit down," Declan said, gesturing to the seat in front of his desk. "I wanted to talk to you about a new position that is opening up. I know you've had your eye on the department head promotion, but I think this might be a great opportunity for you."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That evening, Hermione flooed right to Ginny's house. Her best friend was asleep on the couch, soft snores rustling wisps of her copper hair. Hermione let her enjoy a nap and set to work fixing dinner. Ginny woke up just as Hermione was taking the lasagna out of the oven.

"You should have woken me up, Min," Ginny said, yawning and stretching her arms over her head.

"But you looked so peaceful. You should enjoy the uninterrupted naps while you still can." Hermione put two bowls of salad on the table and started dishing out the lasagna.

"True enough. Are you ready for some cleaning?"

"You sure know how to show a girl a good time on a Friday night," Hermione laughed. "Not that I've have many other appealing offers."

"Is my brother still being an idiot?" Ginny scoffed, drizzling vinaigrette on her salad. "I'll go smack some sense into him if you'd like."

"No, but thank you." Hermione sighed and plunked down into a chair. "I did get a interesting offer at work today, though."

"What's that?"

"They offered me a promotion. The position of North American Liaison has opened up and Declan thinks I'm perfect for it."

"Really? Wow! That's great, Min! Congratulations! I bet I have champagne somewhere to toast with." Ginny started to pull herself up, but Hermione grabbed her hand and coaxed her back down.

"I haven't accepted it yet. It comes with a catch."

"What's the catch?" Ginny asked.

"The position is in New York City. I'd have to move to America." Hermione nibbled on her bottom lip, for the millionth time that day, as she awaited her friend's reaction.

"Oh," Ginny said, sinking back in her chair. "That...that..."

"Sucks?"

"Yeah. What did you tell him then?"