Chapter 20

December 2003

"I still don't see why George can't come along," Fred muttered petulantly as he laced up his trainers.

Hermione shook her head and rolled her eyes. She finished securing her hair into a single plait and sat down on the bed beside him.

"Because my dad wants to spend the day with you," Hermione said for the hundredth time that morning. She summoned her shoes and slipped them on. "Why are you so nervous about this? My dad likes you."

"I've just been getting this weird vibe and I don't quite know how to explain it."

Hermione's parents had come to England for the Christmas and New Year's holidays. Since their arrival, she and Fred had spent a lot of time with them, but always together or with a group of Weasleys. Today, Boxing Day, Hermione was seizing the opportunity of having her mum around and, along with Molly, Ginny, Fleur, and Victoire, they were going to Diagon Alley to pick out a wedding dress.

"He's just getting to know you, sweetheart," she assured, running a hand through his hair. He leaned into her touch and she smiled. "Up until now, he hasn't really had the chance to interact with you much. Now that you're going to be part of the family he's trying to bond a bit."

"Does his idea of bonding include tossing me off a cliff and making it look like an accident?"

"Don't be so dramatic," she said kissing his head and standing up. "And remember, you're a wizard. If he throws you off a cliff, the spell is Arresto Momentum."

"Thanks for the support, love," Fred sighed.

Hermione was about to respond but a knock on the door interrupted her.

"They're here." She kissed the top of his head again and went to answer the door.

Her parents were waiting on the other side. Her mother's smile hadn't left her face since Hermione had met her at the airport a week ago. She was so excited to plan the wedding. The speed that she and Molly had spoken during Christmas dinner was mind-boggling. The two women were clearly in their element. A day of trying on wedding dresses with them was bound to be exhausting.

"Hello, darling!" Margaret Granger greeted, pulling her daughter in for a hug. "I'm so excited to find you a dress! Where's Fred?" she asked, looking over Hermione's shoulder.

"Yes, where is your young man?" Jonathan Granger asked, stepping into the flat behind his wife. He set a rucksack on the floor, by his feet.

"He's just finishing getting ready," Hermione assured, kissing her father's cheek. "What do you have planned for the day?"

"It's a surprise," Jonathan answered gruffly.

"Dad, you will be nice, won't you?" Hermione asked in a low voice, locking her father's eyes with hers.

"Don't worry, Mimi. We're going to get along just fine."

"Oh, Circe," Hermione moaned at the mention of her childhood nickname. She covered her face and said urgently, "Please, don't let anyone else hear you call me that. They'll never let me hear the end of it."

"Too late, darling," Fred called from the hall. A second later he appeared in the living room with a smirk. "Already heard it." He grabbed his jacket from the hook by the fireplace and shrugged it on. "I promise I won't tell anyone though. Hello, Doctor Granger," he said, nodding to Jonathan, "and Doctor Granger," he continued, with a nod at Margaret.

"Please, Fred, call us John and Maggie," Margaret insisted.

Fred was leaning down to give Hermione a kiss when Jonathan cleared his throat, causing Fred to jump back a meter and stand up straight.