Chapter 23

{Three Months Later}

"Dang Dri, You hellah dedicated to your work I see. I'm so proud of you boo." Tiffany said as we walked down the steps of the school. She was looking in my binder at all of the work I got accomplished.

I didn't really have to come here today, but Tiffany had two classes today. She currently does not have a car, so I feel like it's only right that I take her wherever she needs to go.

This isn't the college that we originally wanted to go to, but that doesn't matter. School is school, we have an opportunity that numerous people never get, so it is important to really appreciate the opportunity.

"Yeah it's best to go ahead and get things done. I would hate to fall behind."

We made it over to my car and got in it.

"So, where are we going next?" I asked with a smile.

She looked at me oddly. "Umm, didn't you tell me that you were suppose to meet some people on the other side your other family?"

"That's later on." I crunk up my car. "And besides, I'm not all that thrilled about going to meet them. I don't want to go."

"Dri you have to. Your biological father is around. You have the opportunity to get to know him and his family. They are a part of you. The worst that could happen is that you end up not liking them and not talking to them again. Family be like that sometimes. There's also the possibility that you go meet them and start building some good relationships with them. I know you are grown and can make your own decisions, but you have been putting this off for some months now. Just do it."

Her and Raheem have both been telling me similar things about the situation. Whether he tried to or not, Raheem made me feel bad when he talked to me about it. He doesn't know ANY of the people in his biological family. Not even one person. For a short period of time he searched for them but never found anyone. He told me that just to tell me that I am lucky and blessed to have the option to talk to members of my family.

He and Tiffany don't know the full reason why I am so skeptical though. I love Raymond so much. He told me that it was perfectly fine for me to want to meet my family. He said he was okay with it, but I don't know. I doubt it, but what if Gregory and I build a relationship? I don't want to hurt Raymond.

I turned out of the parking lot of the school. "I don't know." I let out a sigh. "It'll be really odd. Gregory McGhee is my half brother."

"Seatbelt Adrianna. And wow! I can't believe his fine self is your brother! Well not because he is fine, but you know. I just woulda never thought."

"Oh." I grabbed my seatbelt as I switched lanes. I don't know why I forgot to put it on. "Oh yeah that's right, you did have a crush on him."

Out of the corner of my eye I could see her look at me with her eyes widened. Whatever. Just like people could tell that I had a crush on Raheem, people could tell that she had a crush on Gregory. Her crush was way more obvious than mine was though.

"Anyway, you never answered my question. Where are we headed? I'm starving, do you want to go get something to eat? There's a Waffle House not too far from here."

"Sure Dri, but we can't stay out too long. You really do need to meet the other people in your family."

"Yeah yeah yeah. I'm gonna go."

A few minutes later we were parked in the parking lot of Waffle House. I usually prefer IHOP over Waffle House, but there's only one IHOP in this town and it's on the other side of town.

We sat in a booth and looked at the menus.

"Are you okay Adrianna? You don't look so well all of a sudden."