«Forbidden - 5»

I staggered out into the light, finally locating the doorknob. Amelie stood up from where she had been leaning, on the side of the building.

"Are you okay?" she asked, almost seeming genuinely concerned. "Maybe this was a mistake-"

"Yeah, no kidding," I interrupted, walking away. Amelie frowned, standing up to go after me.

"I've been thinking," she said, catching up. "About what you said, earlier."

I ignored her, continuing my walk. I wasn't sure where I was going, exactly. Just away.

"And you're right. I am just blindly following orders." Amelie grabbed my wrist. I tugged it away. "The higher-ups just told me what to do, and I did it."

I turned sharply to the left, following a long corridor.

"So. Will you tell me?"

I hit a dead end, letting out an exasperated sigh and deciding to finally face her. "That's your solution?"

"Yeah," said Amelie plainly. "Then at least I'll know why we need you."

I rolled my eyes. "I have a power," I said curtly, unsure of why I was telling her anything at all. "I can see a few seconds into to future. It's really not that big of a deal, and it barely ever works when I actually need it to. So there you have it." I pushed past her, leaving her gaping at the spot where I once was.

"You can't be serious," Amelie said after a pause. I had already turned my mind elsewhere, tuning her out.

Suddenly I heard a crash in the distance. Shouts echoed across the premises. I heard a parade of footsteps, becoming louder by the second. "Soldiers," breathed Amelie as she rushed towards the noise.

"Where are you going?" I called out.

Amelie stopped. "To help."

"Why?" I continued. "You're going to get killed."

Amelie cocked her head, flashing a small smile. "Oh, worried, are we?" she teased. I fumed. "Mae, I know what I signed up for. This is a rebellion, a revolution. No matter what you think, we're going to overthrow the noble houses, the king, and his tyranny along with it."

I stared, uncomprehending. "It's not going to work," I finally said.

"Yes it is," said Amelie haughtily over her shoulder as she dashed off once again. There wasn't a hint of fear in her voice.

I was left alone in the courtyard, staring at her shrinking form as she ran farther and farther away. I knew I should be leaving this place. A militia of villagers and farmers armed with makeshift weapons stood no match for even one squad of the imperial army. But somehow, my feet felt rooted in place.

"Wait..." I called out half-heartedly, unmoving. Amelie turned the corner, placing herself out of sight. I stood there for a long while, staring.

Suddenly shots rang out. I jumped. They had been loud - way too loud. The bullet had been fired somewhere close by. "Amelie!" I shouted, coming to life once more and sprinting after her. "Amelie!"

"Mae!" Amelie's voice cried out. It sounded shaken, terrified. I rounded the corner. Amelie was lying on the ground, clutching her arm.

"Are you okay?" I exclaimed, kneeling down beside her. She gritted her teeth, nodding her head wordlessly. "What happened?"

Amelie pointed towards a shattered window on her left. I looked out. Imperial soldiers were advancing, their sleek black uniforms glistening in the sun. The front row held poised guns, their barrels smoking. A small line of defense had formed, but the rest of the people were either hiding or crouching in the shadows, waiting for the right time to strike. At least, I hoped.

Another shot rang out. The wood of the building behind the rioters splintered. Gasps and shouts rose up from the sidelines as the soldiers fired again, this time right at the people. They charged, some falling to the ground. I saw snipers from upper stories fire at the soldiers. Most of the shots missed.

I turned my attention back onto Amelie. She had already started tearing off a piece of fabric from her shirt and wrapping it around her arm. I tried to help, but was waved away.

"You were right," said Amelie, staring out at the unfolding scene. "Half our warriors don't even have the courage to set foot outside."

"Amelie..." I started, but was cut off. I saw a shape in the corner of my vision, and turned around. A black boot was slowly descending down the stairway. I clamped a hand over Amelie's mouth and tried to scramble away, but it was too late. The soldier came into view, bearing a rifle across his chest. With machine-like precision, he lowered it, aiming at us.

There wasn't time to react. The bullet fired, sending a could of smoke into the air. It flew at Amelie, striking her in the head. I watched on in horror as she fell away, dropping onto the floor.

But at the same time, she didn't. I finally realized that I was staring at a duplicate version of her. Meaning... I was looking at the way she would be in about two seconds. I scrambled to my feet, pushing Amelie out of the way just as the bullet whizzed past. "Go, go, go!" I shouted, practically in hysterics. We both bolted to the exit, leaving the soldier behind.

"How'd-" Amelie panted once we were out of the way. Sounds of battle rang out around us.

"Powers," I interrupted. "There's no time." Already, I was starting to feel dizzy. "We have to get out."

We had only made it a few more steps before I had to stop. Searing pain lit up once more in my head. This time I managed to stay upright, without blacking out.

"Mae?" asked Amelie. I waved a hand for her to keep going. We were nearly at the gate.

"Mae, this doesn't seem right," she said, still cradling her injured arm. "We can't just leave."

"Yes we can," I said, walking through. "Let's go."

Amelie stood, hesitating.

"What are you waiting for?" go

"No," said Amelie, walking the other way. "I can't just up and leave like that. You can go - I won't keep you. But I'm staying and fighting."

I gaped after her as she turned away, stunned. Part of me wanted to take her offer and leave; part of me didn't want to split up.

"I'm coming too."

"What?"

"You heard me." I strode up to Amelie, standing beside her. "You... you're the first friend I've made in a really, really long time. And I'm not about to let you die."

Amelie looked up at me, eyes shining. "Mae... you mean it?"

"Of course," I said, although in truth, I wasn't certain. Was one person really worth this much to me? I didn't know the answer.

"Mae," said Amelie, taking my hand. "Thank you. And I really mean it. I didn't think you would ever agree to this, and... I'm happy to be proved wrong." I looked into her eyes, my initial statement solidifying in my head. I realized now how a person could have so much dedication to a cause so feeble.

"Thank you."

{End of Story Two}