«What Lurks in Darkness - 3»

"What's happening to it?" I wondered aloud, stunned. I took a few tentative steps closer, over the rocks that flecked the small pool of water surrounding the forest's center.

The cavern was truly a sight to behold. Ferns and other soft greenery dotted the walls and floors. The pond, though shallow, hosted various tiny, iridescent fish, and its bottom was littered with shards of sparkling crystal. For a moment, my troubles were forgotten. It seemed impossible that in a place so beautiful, such peril could exist.

But as much as I wished, that couldn't be the case. I grew aware to the shadows, watching me from the comfort of their perches. And as I looked closer, I began to notice things that... weren't right.

A fish, bobbing belly-up on top of the water. Then, patches of wilting plants. And as I neared, deep cracks, clawed into the walls of the cave. I frowned, running my hands along the indents. It almost felt as if there was some kind of energy leaking out. Something dark. Something evil.

I raised my head up, then took a startled step back. There it was, right in front of me - the heart of hearts, the very life of the forest. Up until now, I had only heard stories, legends of the great gemstone that lay at the center, deep below the earth. Now that I was here, I had to say I had imagined it completely differently.

I brushed my fingertips along its rough, unpolished surface. It glowed under my touch, sparking up somewhere deep within. The black tendrils of vines held it firmly in place, giving the impression of entanglement.

Suddenly the low purr stopped. I started, turning around. I had grown so accustomed to the sound that I hadn't realized it was still there until it cut off.

I turned around. The creatures were gone. I took a step back, clutching my weapon.

"What's happening?" I demanded. The forest didn't respond. I walked around, hopping over the boulders, looking inside of shrubbery. Everything was deserted.

I brushed a strand of black hair out of my face, checking the walls for any passages. "Please," I said, addressing the forest's heart. "I... I want..." I paused. What did I want? To leave? Without... Jasper? Or could I help? But how?

My fingers hit a gap in the wall. I jumped back, startled, then peeked in. I could only see a few feet into the passage - beyond that, darkness. I squinted, but still, nothing. I took a tentative step inside, then another, leaving me standing right at where the light faded out. Then I walked in, my hands stretched out, running along the tunnel's sides. I had barely taken two steps when the floor beneath me gave way. I yelped as I dropped into a free-fall, the air rushing past me, lifting up my hair and rippling through my clothes. I groped around, finding nothing. At this rate, I was going to hit the ground and die.

I looked down at my feet. Something rushed towards me, and I held my breath, closing my eyes.

To my surprise, I landed on something soft. It gave way right beneath me, just enough to slow me down but not to crush me. I exhaled sharply, a cry escaping my lips as I started falling once more, only to be caught by an object not unlike the last. I tried to grab on, but the surface was slick, and I couldn't get a good grip. I tumbled down to the next tier, and the next, until I was finally dropped to a soft stop. I stood up immediately, brushing myself off. I had lost my knife in the fall.

A dim light shone in the distance. I tried to clear my head, walking towards it. I was likely hundreds of feet below ground. I should be in total darkness. But then again, I thought grimly as I emerged into the light, I also should be dead.

I was standing on something that resembled a huge balcony made out of intertwined wood, coated in a grassy finish. I walked out to the edge and peered over. Dozens of identical balconies dotted the walls of a downwards tunnel. Everything was well-lit, yet there was no sun above me, nor any torches or lanterns of any sort.

To my right was a small opening, which led to a short flight of stairs. I walked down them as far as I could before stopping at a steep decline. It was made with a slick, natural material, almost like a large leaf. I gulped, bending my knees and trying to slowly descend.

My legs flailed out from under me, making me fall down onto my back. I could barely make a sound as the wind was knocked out of my lungs. I slid down the sleek surface at break-neck speed. I turned a corner, finally finding my voice and letting out a scream.

The slope ended abruptly, tipping me out onto the ground. My momentum sent me upright and I stumbled blindly, arms out in front of me. I would've gone right over the edge if it wasn't for a force that grabbed the back of my shirt, stopping me.

I fell over backwards, panting and staring wide-eyed at the cliff. My heart was racing as I whirled around to get a look at what had caught me.

A boy with disheveled black hair and lopsided grin stared back at me, eyes alight. I gasped.

"Jasper..." I said in a shaky whisper, reaching for my friend and wrapping him a tight embrace.

"Woah, woah," he said with a confused chuckle. I looked up at him. He had a slight blush growing on his cheeks. "Hey, you ok, Rydel?"

"Me?!" I exclaimed, pulling away. "You're dead!"

"What?" asked Jasper, bewildered. "What are you talking about?"

"I-I-" I started, tripping over my own words. "I saw you, you were on the ground, covered with blood, how are you-"

"Hey," interrupted Jasper softly. "I don't know what you saw, but I'm here, ok? I'm here." He stepped back, patting himself down frantically. "Wait, at least I think I am?" I couldn't help but smile at his antics.

"Jas, I'm serious," I said, wiping the amusement off my features. "We have to get out."

"Right," he said. "Where are we, anyway?"

"I dunno," I replied. "I only know that I fell a really long way to get here."

Jasper was already looking in the other direction. "There," he said, pointing. "Let's go that way."

I followed his gaze to another tunnel. The opening was covered with warm-hued leaves, orange and gold.

"Right," I replied with renewed determination. "Let's hope it leads out."