«Mirror Worlds - 3»

"I probably should've allowed a bit more time for this, huh Chimi?" I muttered, brushing a large branch off the trail. Chimi made a small rumbling noise in response, trudging on ahead. The sun was slowly setting, following its trek down the crystal clear sky. I sighed, exhaling deeply, listening to the sound of crickets calling. It would be dark before I got home.

Suddenly Chimi stopped, ears swiveling. "Everything all right?' I asked, pausing as well. Chimi straightened once more, continuing as if nothing had happened. I frowned.

We walked a few more paces before it happened again. The foxlike animal stopped in her tracks, lifted her head up to they sky, then reverted back to normal, following the narrow path. Finally, on the fifth time, I stopped her, kneeling down and placing a gentle hand on her head.

"What's the matter?" I whispered. "Are you ok?"

Chimi lifted her face up to meet my gaze, blinking slowly. I gave a her a comforting smile, reaching down to stroke her again. But before I could do so, Chimi broke away, dashing off into the trees and leaving me with my hand poised over nothing.

"What- Chimi?!" I yelled, beginning to chase after her. "Where are you going?" I ran as fast as I could, the trees tearing past, trying to follow the rust-colored streak. Every bound brought her farther and farther out of sight. "Slow down!"

Chimi did no such thing, completely disregarding my orders, as she so often did. I kept calling after her, oblivious to the racket I was creating.

Suddenly, Chimi stopped. I tried to slow down as fast as I could, nearly barreling into her at top speed. "What's you problem?" I panted as soon as soon as I came up next to her. "You can't just run off like..."

A blue light caught my gaze, making me cut off my sentence. "...that..."

Before me stood a flat plain, dotted with rocks and tufts of wispy, frost-colored grass. Filling the space above it were dozens of rifts, fluctuations in the air, ripples in the very universe. Suddenly I was overwhelmed with the sudden rush of energy emanating from them. It was amazing that I hadn't sensed it earlier, even while being preoccupied by my pursuit.

All around, milky white, shadow-like creatures went in and out of the rifts, barely outlines. They were like phantoms, blinking in and out of existence as they walked through the gates, passing into other dimensions. I gazed upon it all in awe, eyes wide.

Suddenly Chimi seemed to come to life beside me, pawing at my shoes.

"I know," I breathed, unable to take my eyes away. "I think we've found it."

Neither of us did anything for a long while, staring at the scene laid out before us. Then I blinked myself awake, snapping out of my daze.

"I don't get it," I said aloud. "What does it mean?"

Chimi stood up and placed her forelegs on me, trying to attract my attention. I waved her off. "Mr. Gabriel sad that the answer would lie here. Well, I don't see it."

Chimi gave a small 'hurmph' of agreement, padding around in a circle and curling up on the ground.

"It doesn't make sense," I continued, my voice fading to a whisper. "It..." I tried to keep my creeping agitation under control.

Suddenly the sound of the crickets faded. Chimi perked up; so did I. The phantom creatures faded back into the rifts, ceasing to leap back and forth. I reached behind me for my bow, remembering with a start that I hadn't brought it. I groaned, mentally cursing myself. At least I still had my armor.

We waited, not moving a muscle. Suddenly, with a distinct tearing noise, another rift opened up in the middle of all the others, becoming larger and larger by the second. I jumped back, into the safety of the forest, but I had a feeling my protection wouldn't last long. The rift started swirling, circling in on itself like a whirlpool. Then, pearly white objects started coming out, circling the gate like a flock of birds.

Wind started picking up. I shielded my eyes. Whatever this was, it wasn't good.

At closer glance, the white objects appeared to be minimized animals, of all species and sizes. They ran around and around, occasionally diverging from the path and dashing out into different directions.

From out of the depths of the rift emerged a clouded shape. Flashes of light illuminated the dark, blindingly bright. The rift churned and vibrated the ground beneath us, ripping open wider and wider. Suddenly the lightning lashed out, striking a tree behind it with tremendous force.

Chimi and I slowly backed away. My hear raced, leaping up into my throat. Uncertainty raced in my mind, submerging the rest of my thoughts. As my mind began searching for a way to stop this, my panic only grew.

So I did what any person would do.

I ran.