«Mirror Worlds - 2»

The next day went by as usual. I woke up in the rafters of the old police station, watching the sunlight stream in through holes in the roof. After a moment's consideration, I sprang down onto the ground, and went to go about my morning routine.

I spent the first half of my day loitering around, taking from shops when people weren't looking, chatting with the few townsfolk I knew. I had an interesting breakfast of a thieved tomato and a slice of bacon, taken from right off the grill. It had burned my fingers.

All in all, it had been a good start, I thought to myself as I sat in the dim room. All around me, unfamiliar people blundered by, paying me no heed as I wrapped my hands in cloth and adorned myself in my usual evening attire. For me, meaning a few light pieces of armor underneath a robe of colorful cloth.

I stuck a golden pin into my hair, one of the few valuable things I owned. Then I decorated my wrists with bracelets, mostly leather cords strung with ceramic beads.

The crowd outside cheered just as I heard a roar of victory. Another defeat by the house's pride, the bulky man known as Chisriel.

Gradually, the screaming and whooping died down, allowing me to hear my cue. I swept the last fold of my scarf around my face, and stepped out.

I was greeted with considerably less enthusiasm - I assumed because not many knew me. I played the dark, mysterious figure around this area, showing up only occasionally, never showing my face. However, with me, the fight always promised to be a good one.

Before me, on the other side of the ring stood Chisriel, towering over me, a sneer upon his face. I remained expressionless, staring him down.

"Aara, the conjurer!" the announcer finished, sweeping his arms out in an extravagant gesture. The crowd applauded once more, eager to see what was in store. I simply nodded, keeping up my stage persona.

My opponent smiled menacingly. I heard the sound of chains being thrown open, and a gate being unlocked. Behind him, a padlocked door cranked open, giant metal gears turning. From the shadows of the cage came out an enormous dog, almost the size of the giant forests wolves that lived near here, deep in the forests. The beast came up at least to my upper chest, and if it stood, it would easily have at a foot of height on me. I shivered.

"The defender presents... Gnasher!" announced the commentator.

I rolled my eyes. Real creative.

"But where is the challenger's beast?" he exclaimed. The crowd rippled in response, murmuring.

I held up a hand, silencing the whispers, reveling in the glory of my influence for a brief moment as the crowd obeyed. Then I whipped out my arms, repeating the motions I was so familiar with. The sweep of the hand, the slight wave of the fingers- it was all practically second nature.

I felt the gate open, and called upon the energy of one of the spirits I had grown accustomed to. "Chimi," I whispered, barely moving my lips. "I need you." Instantly, a bright orange energy filled my mind. Chimi materialized before me, pacing in place. Her rust-colored coat covered her foxlike body and large, bushy tail. The audience cheered, awed. Those who had seen my performance before uttered haughty remarks, grinning, the words "I told you so" upon their lips.

"All right Chimi," I said in ancient tongue. "Focus." The animal stopped pacing and sat up, tilting its head at me innocently. Her two pairs of ears twitched as she shook herself out. I gestured in the other direction, tying to hide my already growing irritation. Chimi wasn't the easiest to work with, but was quite flashy, always using every chance she could get to show off, and therefore great for preforming.

"That's our target," I said. Chimi perked up, taking a fighting stance. "Remember what I told you."

Chimi showed no sign of comprehension. Of course, she rarely did.

Before I knew it, the starting bell had rung. Cheers began to rise up once more, and the tent flooded with sound. Chimi sprang out, rushing at the larger creature without hesitation. Bravery or stupidity, I will never know.

The dog let loose a menacing bark, baring its fangs and prowling closer. Chimi gave her usual squeak, although the sound was lost among everything else. She slipped right past her opponent, running around him in a circle before returning back to her side.

"Nice," I said, mostly to myself, as people around us let loose laughs as the large dog staggered around, unable to keep up. In front of me, Chisriel snarled, crossing his arms and barking out orders.

The dog instantly straightened up, lowing itself to the ground and growling. Chimi pranced around in place, immune to any kind of intimidation. Suddenly the dog lunged for her, coming at her exposed foreleg with his fangs.

"Watch out!" I cried, but Chimi was already on it. She jumped over the dog's snout with a swish of her tail, barely breaking a sweat.

"Yeah!" I cheered. "Now, offensive."

Chimi seemed to hear. She leaped up, twisting in midair and landing on the dog's back. It snarled, kicking and bucking like a horse, but Chimi was persistent. She clung on, refusing to let go, even when Chisriel barked another order, and the dog laid down and rolled over on the dirt floor if the ring. Her strategy wasn't exactly what I was going for, but trying to tell Chimi what to do was like trying to conrol the wind, so I let it slide.

She sank her teeth into the dog's neck, pinning him down as best as she could. I leaned against the railing, craning my neck. The dog let out another growl, trying to rip away, but couldn't. Chimi was draining its energy through her fangs, using her special skill to make herself stronger in the process.

I settled down, hiding a smile. It was done. We had won.

In a daze, I heard the bell ring once more, prompting another cheer from the audience. I grinned. "Chimi! Come!"

Chimi perked up instantly, running over and leaving the dog lying on the ground, panting. I smiled as she wriggled her way through the bars and into my outstretched arms.

"Honestly," I murmured. "Don't you think that was a bit too quick?" Chimi simply swept her tail back and forth and inched herself closer.

One of the assistants, a young boy around the age of ten, ran up to me, handing me a small satchel of money. "Thanks," I said, lowering my voice and straightening, keeping one hand on Chimi's back to ensure that she wouldn't take off. I pocketed the winnings and began to walk out.

I heard a roar from behind me as Chisriel let out a frustrated noise. I began to speed up, fast-walking out of the tent and up the narrow stairway, taking the steps two at a time. It was only after I had made it outside into the dim evenings that I slowed down.

"Good going," I whispered, petting Chimi's soft coat. She purred under my touch, then took a few steps back expectantly.

"Sorry, I can't send you back just yet," I said, and she cocked her head, confused. "We have somewhere to go tonight."

Chimi came to my side, and I ran my fingers through her fur. "I don't really know where, exactly," I continued. "But... apparently, it'll have our answers." I turned myself in the direction of the forest that bordered our city.

"Well then... let's get going."