Chapter 21

The rest of high school ended quickly.  I graduated with good grades, and I was ready to get out of my small school.

I went to a universirty out of the state, where it wasn't a whole different country but it was far enough to be away from home.  It was also a huge university, so I wouldn't have to cope with problems of friends and popularity.  You know what they say, high school never ends.

I was happily taking great classes, and it was an average day of my first month of college when I bumped into someone I was definitely not expecting.

"Romie?" A voice I knew very well said.  Well, it might have been a little lower than before, but still...

My eyes widened when I saw his face, and I sucked in a breath.  I immediately turned around and speed-walked the opposite way.

"Wait!" Matt shouted, and he ran over to grab my arm.

"Let go of me!" I yelled, getting attention from those around us.  He cursed and I lowered my voice.

"What are you doing here?  Are you stalking me?"

Matt looked shocked.  "What? No!  I go to school here!"

I was taken aback.  "How the hell did you even get into this school?  You're an idiot!"

He ignored my comment.  "Look,  can we talk some time?  I still need to apologize...and explain and stuff."

"There's literally nothing to explain.  You cheated on me.  And an apology won't do anything, so save me the time." 

Matt wouldn't shake it though.  "No, Romie you don't understand.  That was the worst decision of my life and I need to tell you how it happened."

"You broke my heart.  I'm over you.  Don't try to defend yourself now."

"I'm not defending myself!"

"Dude, we dated like two years ago!  Why are you coming to me now?  Are you that desperate?"

Matt groaned sort of defeatedly. He seemed to be in a rush.  "Just...can I talk to you later?"

"What the hell? No!"

"Please!"

I had a lecture to catch as well, and he didn't seem like he was giving up.

"Fine!" I hissed, and he seemed satisfied and ran off.  I huffed, feeling annoyed.  

I couldn't put my head in the lecture as I kept on thinking of Matt.  I had wished to never see him again, yet he shows himself two years later. Was he ever going to stop trying to make my life hell?

I went into my dorm room to find my roommate, Leigh, sprawled on her bed with her school notes all around her. 

"Hey." She greeted me, and I gave her a tired smile.  I sat on my own bed, and she propped herself up on her elbow.

"So..." She said, "why is it that I've been catching whispers that you were yelling at a super hot guy today?"

I groaned loudly.  Even in college, rumors spread quickly.

"He's my ex-boyfriend in highschool." I muttered.

Leigh let out a low whistle.  "Why'd you guys break up?"

"He cheated on me," I said, trying to sound nonchalant.

"Yikes." Leigh hissed, and I nodded in agreement.

"Well, I'd love to comfort you and shit, but I have a major test tomorrow and I really need to study." She said.

"Oh yeah, don't let me keep you from your studies." I said quickly, "I'm gonna go out for a while, so I'll see you later."