Chapter 5

I sat in my favorite tree, deep in thought. My eye brows were scrunched, my hand was under my chin, my elbows digging into my leg. If I weren't sitting on a tree, I would have started pacing. This morning, I woke up with a phone call from someone. That someone turned out to be Matt. The conversation was something like this:

Me: Lo? Who is this in such early morning?

Matt: Romie? It's 11, but I'm sorry to have woken you.

Me: Ma...Matt? No, it's fine, I swear. (Cue in major blush here)

Matt: (I heard him laugh here) Right. Anyway, are you free tomorrow? (I could literally hear the smirk in his voice!)

Me: Uh....yeah. I don't have any plans for tomorrow...

Matt: Great. I'll pick you up at eight tomorrow morning, so make sure to sleep early! (I rolled my eyes at that comment)

Me: Yeah, yeah. See you tomorrow then. (I hung up there)

So after half an hour of getting ready for the day, I came to the creek and climbed the tallest tree there, so I can think. The only sounds were of birds chirping happily and a warm breeze blowing past me, whispering on my skin. After the phone call, I had this awkward feeling somewhere inside of me that really wanted to get to know Matt better. But I also had a feeling that he wouldn't tell me where we were going until we get there, and I didn't want to sit in the car whining like a baby either.

I bit my lip before climbing down my tree, and I made myself back to my house slowly, savoring the summer air against my skin. I pedaled much slower than usual, still deep in thought. I made it back home, and I took a shower before climbing onto my lap top.

***************

I wore a brown skirt that reached mid-thigh, and a baby pink, floral top that was lacy on the fringes. It was a bit girly, but you have to admit, brown and pink go so well together. The knock on the door made me skip to the door, and when I opened it, the tall figure which was Matt was standing at the door.  He was wearing jeans and a T-shirt with a blue plaid shirt on top of it.  He was wearing boots for some reason, which was mostly covered up by his jeans.  He looked at me up and down, and I was expecting a compliment or something, but instead I got, "you need to change." I was really confused, and I scrunched up my eye brows in confusion.  I don't know if he was talking about my personality or (hopefully) clothes, but it wasn't the best comment to get so early in the morning from an annoyingly hot neighbor.

"What?" I asked, crossing my arms over my chest.  He looked at me and smirked mischievously, as if he knew something I didn't.

"I mean, you need to change your clothes," he clarified ever so slightly, and I cocked my head to the side.

"Why?" I asked, suspicious of where this was going to.

"Just, change, please," he requested, and I raised an eye brow when he said please.

"Okay, just wait here," I let him inside my house and made him sit on one of our living room sofas, and I ran up to my room.  I opened my closet, and glanced at my clothes.  There were many pastel colored clothes that I had for a long time.  I seriously need to go shopping for more adult-looking clothes.  I scanned my eyes against the glittery and studded tank tops I have for parties, and my colorful dresses and one sleeveless midnight blue dress  that ended right at my butt that my friends bought for me on my sixteenth birthday.  I haven't worn it yet, because the first time I wore it I remember looking like a prostitute and my privates were practically spilling out of its place.  I wasn't too keen on wearing it at all, and then I noticed I don't know what to wear.

"What do you want me to wear?" I yelled to him.

"Long pants and a shirt you don't mind getting dirty!" He yelled, and I scampered to my pants section.  I pulled out a pair of plain skinny jeans, and slipped it on.  I grabbed a yellow shirt I got for volounteering clean-up (which my mom forced me to do).  It wasn't the best clothing to wear on a date, but if my shirt was going to get dirty, I'd be sad if it was on a pretty tank top or something.  I wore mis-matched socks and ran downstairs and slipped on my converse.  He glanced at me and gave me the thumbs-up.  I walked beside him, and got into his car.