Chapter 14

"Bye, Corbin." I mumbled.  I hugged him, and he hugged me back.  He gripped me tightly as I felt tears form in my eyes.  We were at the airport, and it's only been a day since I completely rejected him.  I felt guilty, but I couldn't bear not to say goodbye.

Matt said it was fine for me to go, but he said he didn't want to come with me.  It made sense, but I didn't like seeing my best friend and boyfriend on such bad terms.  Haley walked up to me and hugged me tightly,  I lowered myself a little to huge her back, and then Corbin's family was walking away, turning around to wave every few seconds.

My mom sighed from beside me. "I'll miss them.  I like having a close friend around." 

I nodded.  "Me too, mom."  We both walked back to the car with a sad gloom hanging over us.

*********************

"Hey are you okay?"  Matt asked as I sat with my head leaning onto his shoulder.

"Yeah...a bit sad." 

Matt smiled softly at me.

"About Corbin leaving?" He asked in a voice barely above a whisper.

"Mhm." I murmured.  I maneuvered myself around so that I was sitting in front of him.

"Don't talk about another guy in front of me, that's hurtful." Matt teased, and I smiled softly and pecked him on the cheek.

"What, you jealous?" I asked.

"Yes." Matt replied, and I raised my eye brows.

"Seriously?" I smirked.  Instead of answering, Matt dragged me to him and I let out a yelp of surprise.  I was saddling him and he pecked my nose.  He ran a hand through my hair, then down my neck and finally rested it on my lower back.  He rested his forehead on mine.

"Don't worry, everything will work itself out.  And...I'll keep you busy enough so you won't think about him."  I blushed at the thought of Matt "keeping me busy" whatever that meant.  He gently pressed his lips against mine, and we kissed softly.

We were trying to skip stones sideways in the narrow strip of water when a very annoying thought came to me.

"School's starting tomorrow!" 

Matt grumbled.  "Why did you need to remind me?"

I smiled sheepishly, "sorry."

We continued skipping stones as another of my pebbles dropped into the water with a glop.

I groaned in defeat.  "I can't do this."

"Here.  You go like this-" He said, wrapping himself from behind me and gently placing his hands on mine.  I blushed deep red.

"A bit unnecessary, don't you think?" He said as his upper body leaned down to cover mine.

"Yep, but I want to do this, is that wrong?" I could hear the smirk in his voice.  I shook my head in defeat.  He brought his arm back bringing mine with it, and he swiftly guided my arm back, and I let the pebble go.  The pebble went plop, plop, and then it sunk into the water.

"I did it!" I abruptly raised my arms and I accidentally thwacked Matt on his head.  "Woops, sorry." I mumbled as he put a hand on his head and shot me a glare.  I stood on my tip toes and patted where I wacked him, and he faked a frown.

"You hurt me." Matt whined in a baby voice, and I fake gasped.

"I'm so sorry!  How can you forgive me?" I cried, fighting away the laugh that was bubbling up to the surface of my face.