Chapter 17

Happy Easter!!!! :D (if you celebrate it)

Um... I'll just say sorry and leave it at that....

Finally another chapter!! :)

Enjoy!

Comment and Vote please?

Zaphira’s POV

My ribs hurt and pain lanced through me with every breath I took. Steven had tried to assess the damage, but couldn’t do much with the dim lighting. I knew Senan would be going out of his mind at this point, but there was nothing I could do to resolve that for him. Not until I got out of the cage.

I needed to get away from the pack, go home and gather a small army of soldiers. Then I could come back somehow and take down that alpha. I had another problem though; I had no idea where I was or how far from home I was, and if I didn’t know that, I wouldn’t make it the whole way home in one piece. I’d get caught.

A couple of hours after the Alpha left the door opened once more. It was the guard and the servant girl. This time they kept their distance and completely out of reach.

“What did you mean when you said you weren’t only a bystander?” asked the guard.

“How do I know you’re not just asking me to give your Alpha information?” I countered.

“Because I swear on Holly’s life that I’m not.” He glanced down at the girl beside him and pulled her closer to him.

“Okay, I’ll believe you. I’m Zaphira Skye, alpha of the Silvermist Pack. One of my pack is Steven’s mate and I came to find him and bring him back because his prick of a former alpha banished him. Long story short, I’m now his alpha too. I need to be let out and I need to know where I am so I can tell my mate. Then we can free you all, hopefully. How large is your pack?”

He regarded me warily, still unsure.

“Answer me or I can’t help you.”

“There’s about fifty of us, give or take a few. About ten of them are children, the rest are capable fighters. None of the pack are willingly loyal to him, they fear him. If you can take him out, then there’ll be no more fighting.”

“Okay… Where are we?”

“We’re about ten miles North of where you were hit with the dart, it should be easy for your mate to sniff you out.”

I nodded. Here comes the part where I really needed their help and cooperation.

“I need to be let out of this cage so I can talk to my pack. Otherwise your trust in me will have been a waste.”

“I…I can’t…if he finds out…he’ll never let us leave…”

My voice took on a hard edge. “If you don’t let me out, he’ll continue to treat you all like this. He may not let you buy your freedom anyway. He might decide that Holly here is just too precious to let go. He might decide that he wants to play with her, to kiss her, to take away the thing only a mate is supposed to take-.”

“Enough!” His eyes turned yellow and he pulled Holly into his arms. He cradled her head and inhaled her scent. “I’ll try, but we can’t do it today. He won’t be coming back for at least another week. He’s leaving on a business trip in four days’ time. We can only let you out then.”

“How is my mate supposed to know? He’ll be worried sick, if he doesn’t find me first! And if he does, there won’t be many of your pack left to save.”