Chapter 8

I awoke with a pounding headache. The morning’s events didn’t all rush back to me; I remembered them already. I had re-lived them in my unconscious state several times. Angelica with her mitts all over my Senan. Running out of the school because the pain was too intense to breathe and the walls were closing in on me. Darren drugging me and kidnapping me.

I felt a severe stabbing of hate towards the latter. In fact, I couldn’t wait to get him and kick his ass into the next century. And then I could turn my attention to Angelica...

No matter how much I wanted to.

‘Pay attention! We’re not on our land… It’s enemy territory.’ My wolf sounded anxious and wary. She usually had good sense (except when it came to a certain golden wolf…) so I followed our joint instincts.

I was lying on my side, on a bed of something that poked my skin in random places. I opened my eyes slowly, praying that the movement wouldn’t bring my fading headache back, full blast.

I was in the middle of a forest. And judging by the height of the trees, an old one. The ground was gently sloped where I was situated, and in other places more steeply. The air was colder than the average temperature for our usual forest and I could hear the trickling of small tributary streams in the vicinity.

I was on a mountain.

I concentrated on not panicking. Which was easier said than done. I thought back to the map my dad gave me of the area. Where did I see those mountains? No matter how hard I tried I couldn’t remember, and eventually I gave up.

I tested each of my limbs checking for injuries and found none. Standing up I looked up to the sky and found the sun slowly rising from the east.

I’d been asleep for nearly a day.

Today was the day I was supposed to take over being alpha.

I rubbed my palms over my face repeatedly. Time to go wolf. And yes, I know how cheesy that sounded, but it helped relax me. A bit.

Growls erupted around me and I jumped in fright. These wolves weren’t here to help me. In their eyes, I was trespassing and the penalty for that was death. My heart picked up its pace once more and I took deep breaths to stay awake. Somehow I don’t think fainting would be a smart move right now.

Ten or so wolves emerged from the trees. They surrounded me. One man, dressed in cut-off jeans stepped forward.

“Who are you and why are you on my land?!” He shouted. Oh, he really didn’t sound like a sympathetic person.

“I-I’m Lara. I was kidnapped and knocked unconscious. I woke up here. I-I’m sorry! I couldn’t do anything to stop him. I only want to go home.” I finished quietly. I didn’t tell him my real name on purpose, in case he knew who I was and decided to take me unless my dad gave him ransom, or something equally as bad.

“Were you now? I see. I’m sorry to be the one to tell you this, but trespassing is trespassing, and I’m afraid you’re going to have to die for your crime.”

“But-“

“Shut up! Because yours is such an unfortunate case, we can make it quick and painless.”

I was in so much trouble right now.

He motioned to one of the wolves to my right, and it sprang at me, aiming for my neck. I dived and shifted, not caring the least about my clothes. There was one thing running through my mind; get home and annihilate Darren.

My dad had taught me a couple of useful tricks to knock weres unconscious without killing them. It was time for me to test them out.

The attacking wolf leapt at me again. I used my back legs to kick his chest and he smacked into a tree. He didn’t get back up; he’d hit his head. The leader growled and ordered the other nine to kill me.