Chapter 3

I slammed the locker door shut, my spirits lifting as the feeling of freedom surrounded me; the first day of school was over! While I had met three alpha's sons, there was one more to meet and I couldn't help but be curious as to what he was like. The others were arrogant, cocky jerks and I couldn't be around them for long without wanting to rip their freakishly large heads off.

Ali skipped down the hallway to where I stood. It always amazed me how she was always so cheerful. nothing ever seemed to get her down. I wished I could be like that. It would be nice to be able to smile and laugh all day, every day and not feel like a failure sometimes. Now, I'm not depressive or anything, but sometimes my subconscious likes to rule my dreams; ones in which I fail the pack and everyone dies because of it.

"Heya honey! Are you ready to go?"

I smiled at her. "I sure am. How're you getting home?" Her lips spread into an unconscious smile and I rolled my eyes. "I'm gonna take a guess here and say, in Tristan's car?"

"Uh... yeah. You don't mind do you? I mean I can always go home with you-"

"Chillax! I want to run, I need to get rid of some pent up energy."

"The soon-to-be alphas irritating you?" She asked, cocking her head to the side.

"Why on earth would they? They are the most charming, sweet, kind-hearted people I have ever met!" I replied sarcastically.

"Okaaaaay, you really need to go for a run! Have fun! Want me to take your bag and drop it home for you?" she offered.

"That would be great! Thank you darling! I'll see you bright and early tomorrow, for Day 2 of the Hell hole." She chuckled and took my bag.

"Bye!" She called over her shoulder on her way to her mate.

****************************

I arrived at the edge of the forest in five minutes, running. My wolf was dying to get out. It was like she knew something that I didn't and she wanted to get to it quickly. Once I'd made sure there were no peeping Toms around I stripped and shifted.

The trees spread out in front of me for miles. It was all lush greens and warm browns, with the occassional splash of colour from forget-me-nots, wild poppies and daisies. I breathed in the fresh air and gave a wolfish sigh. I loved being outside with lots of energy. (There's not much point in being outside if you're tire, now is there?) The sky was blue, but the sun was beginning to set in the east, meaning I only had a little while before I needed to be home.

I was one of the lucky few who had a pure, snow white coat of fur. My mother said it looked beautiful; that I was beautiful. I didn't believe her, and to this day still don't, but it doesn't matter. I loosened up my muscles before taking off into the trees.

I loved the exultant feeling of being so free, with the wind carrying fresh scents to my nose and whipping my fur back. The scenery was different from this height too; you could see rabbits scurrying into their dens upon hearing my approach. I never hunted like this; I disliked the taste of raw meat and blood.

I ran for what seemed like days when in reality it was only a about an hour or so. I slowed as I navigated my way to the freshwater stream. I was parched. I lapped it up quickly. I was probably due to be home soon, but I didn't want to go quite yet. The water was clear and I watched avidly as fish swam along with the current.

I settled down in the foliage of orange, red and brown leaves. They made a surprisingly comfy bed. I was drifting into sleep when I heard soft footfalls. My ears pricked up at the sound. They were wolves, but I couldn't tell whether they were friends or enemies, so I chose the safest option. I got up and tried to leave the small clearing.

Of course, I was too slow.

There was four of them. I tensed and readied myself to spring at them if I needed to. The one front and centre was a muddy brown colour, and he was enormous. Almost as big as my dad! The one to his right was a slight bit smaller, and had a beautiful golden coat. To his right stood a charcoal wolf and on the other side a black and speckled one. The formed a pretty intimidating group, but I couldn't show that they were making me nervous. 

The largest moved forward and the wind changed direction. I picked up their scents and almost dropped to my knees. One of them smelled more like the soothing forest than the woods themselves did. It was intoxicating and played with my head. My eyes locked with those of the golden wolf. They were honey-coloured with green splattered through them - his human eye colour. I kept eye contact and I swear I nearly drowned in their depths.

I realised who he was after my wolf decided to speak up.

'MINE'

Crap crap crap and more crap!!!

He was my mate!

'Tell him! Go over to him! Show him that we recognise him as ours!' She whined within my skull, luckily where I was the only one who could hear her.

Thankfully the wind hadn't given me away yet, so I was safe for a few more minutes. I didn't want him to find out who I was, it was too early for my liking. I wanted some freedom to rule the pack, change things in it and then settle down with my mate. Assuming he didn't reject me..

The biggest wolf spoke to my mind.

Who are you?

I wondered if I played dumb and pretended to be a wild wolf, would they leave me be. I highly doubted it since there were no wild wolves around this area. My only choice was to only speak directly with him and then go, before my mate figured it out.

I'm Zaphira, the daughter of Alpha Richard Skye-

Oh, right! It's good to meet you! I am Alpha Morris Jefferson and this goldy wolf beside me is my son, and next in line to be alpha, Senan. May I ask what you're doing out on your own in the woods?

Uh, I'm out for a run...but I'd best be going now. It was nice meeting you!

Wait! We can't have such a lovely she-wolf running on her own! Senan can accompany you-

No. I am perfectly capable of getting home by myself. Thanks for the offer and no disrespect to either of you. I added the last part in case he was an easily threatened wolf. He seemed to debate my answer and, as my luck would have it, the wind blew from behind me towards them.

I didn't wait for an answer. I saw the recognition in Senan's eyes and I had to get out of there. His wolf howled for me as I bolted from the clearing and my wolf yearned to go back. I couldn't do it though. I had a duty as the first female alpha to not return to him and act all submissive. I was probably one of the few she-wolves who managed to run away from her mate's call.

I heard him suddenly gaining on me and my heart jumped into my throat for two very different reasons. My logical, human, side was ill at the thought of him catching me and dominating me. My wolf was excited; she wanted to see him again and wanted him to mark her at the very least. My heart thundered like a steam train.

There were several stages to the mating process for werewolves. One: the male wolf rubs his fur against his mate's when they first meet, to alert other wolves not to go near her from the very start. Two: the male wolves bite, or mark, their mate on the neck where a permanent sort of tattoo will appear and stay forever. This branded her as his. The third stage was sex, which mingled their scents together in her so wolves knew she was taken. Funny how the males kept their own scent though... The other two stages were more voluntary; one was marriage and the final stage was pups. The latter made me shudder at the thought. I was never, ever, ever going to have children. Way too annoying.

While I was thinking to myself, I didn't notice my wolf take over slightly and slow down my speed and by the time I did notice, it was too late. Again.

'This is going to be fun.' I thought as he lunged at me from behind and pinned me to the ground.

'Not.'