Chapter 11: Torn

Chapter 11: Torn

~August~

I enter my empty and quiet classroom which I am accustomed to for about a week already. The now familiar white walls and ceiling reflect the fresh sunlight streaming inside the room through the equally familiar windows with their slightly rusted metal bars. I slump down on my chair, putting my backpack near my feet. I place my arms on my desk and bury my head in them. I'm still the only person in the room. I went to school very early again, but this time I did it on purpose.

"Argh!" I mess up my newly combed hair with my hands.

I am extremely annoyed. Well, all of this irritation started last Saturday.

<<<<<<<<<< *FLASHBACK (TWO DAYS AGO)*

I entered our house after Ives drove me home. I was unusually hyper. I even bowed merrily at our security guard on my way in.

"And I got all that I need right here in the passenger seat hmmm hmmm—" I stopped myself from singing as I closed the front door of the house behind me. Why the hell was I even singing and humming that song anyway?

"Hi, honey. Have you eaten dinn— Wait, what's the matter, August? Why are you hitting your head on that wall?"

Mom rushed to me as she saw me knocking my head on one of our cement walls. I was just doing it because I always remembered that song Ives and I sang. I also kept seeing visions of him with his annoying smile. I was not thinking properly that the best idea I had of erasing him from my thoughts was to bang my head on a wall. Why couldn't I get that four-eyed alien out of my mind?

"This is nothing, Mom. I just thought of checking if our house is sturdy enough," I lied stupidly, hitting my head on the wall one last time.

Mom gave me a disbelieving look that means, 'Is my daughter out of her mind?'

"Really, Mom. Just don't mind me," I said with a nervous chuckle.

"Okay. If you say so." Mom shrugged with a hopeless expression. "Your father and I didn't call you to join us for dinner because you're with your friends. Would you like me to prepare something for you?" Mom just offered.

"Thank you, but I also had dinner, Mom."

"That's good. I'm just glad that you already have friends," she said and smiled.

"Yeah, I almost didn't believe it myself that I'm somehow capable of having friends." I shrugged.

"Friends are great for you." She tapped my shoulder. "I'll go to bed now. Your father is fast asleep, still probably tired from our long trip. I also feel quite tired myself. I just waited for you to arrive before going to sleep."

Mom kissed my cheek. We exchanged 'I love you's then she went upstairs to their room. I was usually lazy; so instead of climbing the stairs, I headed to the elevator.