Chapter 27: In His Debt

~Ives~

It is only two hours before the school's van would come and pick us up, but I haven't packed my things yet. I'm also sure that August hasn't either, but I can't point that out to her now.

I glance at her sitting beside me with her knees tucked in her arms and her head buried in them. None of us have said a word since I led her away from that dark alley and took her to sit in a peaceful part of the beach. I have a lot of questions, but I know it's not the right time to ask.

Actually, I don't really know what to do. I hope being with her is already enough to comfort her even just a little bit.

I take a deep breath and I pull my phone out from my pocket. I send messages to Bryde, Tristan, and Jude telling them to take care of our luggage for us and we will meet them in front of the hotel in two hours. August is in no shape to go back in a same room with Graye. I trust that those guys can manage.

I slip my phone back in my pocket and stare at the horizon. The sunny skies have turned dark and I'm guessing it will not be long before it rains. Funny how the weather matches the current mood. When it starts to rain, I would have no choice but to ask August to move again even if she doesn't feel like it. I'm already worrying about her as she is now; I don't need her to catch a cold or a fever.

"I hate him."

I almost jump as August suddenly speaks. I turn to look at her. Her head is still hidden beneath her arms and her hair. I start to think if I just imagined what I heard when she suddenly speaks again.

"I hate myself. How can I be so stupid?"

I am the kind of person who always knows what to say, but I don't really know how to answer that. I can hear the strain in August's voice. She isn't the kind who questions herself. It just isn't her, and it hurts me to hear her doubt herself.

"I should've sent a petition to Royalce to change my assigned school the moment I knew it was going to be Grindes. I should've steered away from Graye. I shouldn't have said a single word to him. I shouldn't have thought that I was ready to confront him. I shouldn't have been stupid enough to get near him again." She stops and I can hear her crying. "I-- I should've done the things I should, then I wouldn't be as pathetic as I am now. I thought I was strong, but no, I wasn't. How could I fool myself? I'm still as helpless and as worthless as before."

I grasp August's shoulders and shake them, forcing her to look up at me. I gaze into her teary eyes and see surprise reflecting in them. I am even surprised at myself, but I still manage to utter the two words I've been meaning to say. "Stop it!"

She looks away from me and smiles dryly. "You told me not to come with him, right? But I didn't listen. Now, here I am -- a mess because I was stupid enough to listen to him instead of you."

"I don't blame you for anything, okay? It was not your fault. I know that you're someone who stays true to her words and I should've trusted you."