Chapter Thirty-Three

••• Assyria Widimer •••

"Where are we?" I heard Hadley ask beside me as her head popped up to the surface. I turned to her then checked to see if Salacia was okay. She seemed grumpy but okay. There was another portal outside the entrance to Atlantis. It's a back up portal that lead to a lake on the other side of the world. It was rarely ever used since it was created for a quick escape from battle if there ever was one.

"Scotland." I replied flicking a peice of seaweed away from my tail. I hated when they stuck against the scales, sometimes they stained which makes it a nightmare to come out.

"Ever heard of Loch Ness?" I asked as we started swimming towards the shore. Under the cover of darkness, no one could see us. Not that anyone would be out at this time at night. Or morning...

"That's you lot?" Hadley asked in shock. I rolled my eyes. Okay so a while back, a special kind of whale - only found around mermaids - accidentaly swam through here and got stuck. Of course the loch isn't that big enough to really make the whale feel cosy so we had to boot it back out through the portal. How it fit through that damn thing I'll never know. Anyway, long story short, it was hard getting the whale back through without causing a lot of attention. We got it back through but not before some mortal saw. He started exagurating about the whale he'd seen claiming it was some kind of monster and tried to fake a photograph of the poor whale. I her she's around Barbados nowadays.

"Some mortal saw a whale only our kind knows about and freaked out. No biggie." I shrugged. Hadley shook her head and kept her head down swimming. Salacia was unusually quiet. I expect having her boyfriend kidnapped by the same psycho mermaid killer that killed your baby sis has to have some effect on you. I did feel bad for her, even if she is a nixie.

"Quid hic esse volumus? [Why are we here?]" Salacia snapped. Ah, speak of the devil.

"Quid habes, ubi posset esse melior turpis [Well do you have any ideas as to where she might be?]" I replied. She huffed and kept swimming. Her dark silvery grey tail moving quickly in the water. I turned my nose up in disgust at the colour. It's like she's rotting.

"Can you see that?" Hadley asked coming to a stop in the water.

She followed my finger as I pointed to a flickering light amungst the highlands. She squinted and even Salacia came to a stop next to me staring. It was dark so it was probably very light at night - maybe even morning here. No one would be up at this time and there were no other houses around where the light was coming from. It had to be her.

"Pretty old fashioned don't you think?" She asked with raised eyebrows. I nodded. It looked like a fire from where we were in the water.

We started swimming again and it wasn't long before we finally reached land. There was an old dock just ahead which I figured we could climb out onto. Salacia rushed past me swimming quickly towards the dock. I hissed at her to come back since at the rate she was swimming at she was going to slam right into the old wooden structure.

Her body shot out of the water towards the dock as she leaped high, kind of how a dolphin might leap out of the water. Her mer body transformed into mortal as she landed elegantly on her feet before walking off.

I stared at her somewhat impressed then huffed. Show off. Hadly chuckled as she pulled herself up onto the dock and I helped her using the water to lift her up. Her tail morphed into her regualar mortal legs but were still dripping wet from the water. Using my powers I raised my hand towards her trying to heat up the water so that it evaporated off. It didn't take long and after I was done she started giggling. Looking at her I raised an eyebrow.