Chapter 2

Picture of Tick Tock Diner on the side.

Marshall’s P.O.V.

Its been about month since little Brooklyn was born. Two weeks ago, Dre asked everyone to show up for a meeting. He wont tell anyone what it’s about. Just tells us to show up because we wont want to miss out. So me and the family flew in yesterday.

After about ten minutes of greetings everyone takes a seat around the room. It wasn’t long after that Dre calls someone, “We’re ready for you” then he hung up. I look in his direction confused at first. Then a young girl, maybe eighteen or so, steps into the room. As she makes her way up to the front of the room I take the time to examine her, light caramel skin, long curly hair and looks to be a little shorter than me. Where have I seen this girl before? 

Finally she reaches the front of the room and Dre simply says “show them”. Closing her eyes her mouth opens up and Lighters flows out of her. Hitting every note, Bruno originally sung, with the right amount of power. My brows shot up on their own accord when she doesn’t stop at singing. She raps! At that moment she is giving us all she has into the first verse. 

“Damn.” I whispered. “I know.” Dre and Fifty say from either side of me. Our entire crew is sitting around a conference room in Flux Studio’s. (Real studio although I have no idea if they go there) Keeping my voice at a whisper I ask “she is signed right, to your label?” Dre nods. “Good. Cant afford to let anyone else have her man.” 

A tentative voice pulls everyone out of their private conversations. “Um, did you guys like it?” The room goes quiet as all eyes turn to her. I try to get a look at her face but she looks down, causing her hair to create a curtain, when all the attention is on her. A few chuckles sound off through the room at her reaction. Her face catches fire at the sound. 

I see Biz stand up and I know this may not be good. “That was hot! Damn girl, you a double threat. Sing and rap, aint no need to be shy!” We all laugh a little at him but agree by nodding. Finally she looks up and smiles. Her smile is like déjà vu. I have never seen this girl in front of me but that smile I have seen hundreds of times.

“What’s your name?” I ask without even thinking. Her eyes snap over to me. “Evelyn Treasure Knight.” I stood and stuck my hand out. She took it. “I’m-” “Marshall Eminem Mathers, yeah I may have heard of you.” She gave me a small smile as I chuckle. I pull my hand back as everyone comes forward to introduce themselves. 

That last name, Knight, I have heard that. Only increasing my suspicions that my thoughts are right on point. When I heard her last name a conversation came to me from long ago. Me and Asia are skyping talking about random things. I ask about her parents. After telling me all about her mom the only thing she says about her dad is: “The only thing I know about my sperm donor is that his name is Paul Knight.” That has to just be a coincidence, right?

“Twenty.” Evelyn answered a question I didn’t hear. Looking at her now I realize she does favor Asia. Somewhat. My brows are scrunched together as close as they can be. From the corner of my eye I see Dre and Fifty share a look then walk over to me. “What’s up Em?” Dre starts. “You have that ‘uh oh’ face going on.” Fifty finishes. 

Nodding my head towards Evelyn I speak. “Look at this girl. She look like someone you seen before?” Dre looks at her intently for a moment. I could see the moment the light bulb went on. “You think?” Not giving Fifty the chance to jump in I answer Dre‘s question. “Could be. Asia’s Dad’s name is Paul Knight.” Both of their heads snap back to me with their eye brows raised, I just nod my head as if to say ‘yeah I know’. 

I have to call Asia about this. Leaving the conference room, with Fifty right behind me, I find an empty office and hit my speed dial. 

Asia’s P.O.V.