Drama on the beach

Olivia's POV

After arriving at the hospital, I had been doing reasonably well. They had efficiently warmed me up and fed me (I was quite hungry), and I was almost back to my usual self. However, apparently, I wasn't convincing enough, as they insisted on keeping me until the night to ensure I could fully recover from my few bruises and the effects of the cold on my own.

Throughout the day, I had the company of Jesse, which made the time pass more easily. As the day neared its end, a nurse informed me that someone named "Maxi" was here to see me. I asked her to let him in.

Maxi entered the room, but his face looked troubled. I could tell something was bothering him.

"How are you, buddy?" I asked, trying to break the tension.

"You're the one in the hospital, and you're asking me how I'm doing?" he replied, managing a fake smile.

"I'm okay," I reassured him, "they'll release me in a few hours."

I could sense that he had something on his mind, and I was determined to find out what it was.

Jesse? Lovely, I'd like some Macca's... Can you go and find me some? I'll be fine with Maxi!" I suggested, attempting to steer Jesse out of the room.

"Hun, you're getting out soon... We'll go get it then," Jesse replied, and I could sense his reluctance. I pulled out the big guns, flashing my best puppy eyes.

"Alright! But call me if there is anything, eh?" he finally relented.

"For sure, Jess!" Maxi assured him.

Jesse left, leaving Maxi and me alone in the room.

"Maxi? What's happened? You don't look right," I asked, concern in my voice.

"I can't keep anything from you, can I?" Maxi sighed, unable to hide his emotions any longer. "While I was covering for Jesse at Bondi, I was stationed near the cliffs. A lady approached me, saying that a guy on top of the rocks appeared like he was going to jump. So I got up and ran towards him." Maxi paused, taking a deep breath before continuing, "I reached him, and I tried to convince him to come back to safety, to tell him he didn't need to jump, just like Jesse did for you not long ago. But he wouldn't listen... He said there were people bullying him at school, and he was struggling with cyclothymia, and he couldn't cope anymore... Then he jumped."

A tear welled in Maxi's eye, and he brushed it away. "We attempted to resuscitate him, but it didn't work... He was gone. Oli, I feel like it's all my fault! I should have done more to save him, risked my life like Jesse did for you." The weight of his guilt hung heavily in the air.

Feeling a surge of emotions, I took a deep breath and pulled Maxi into a tight, heartfelt hug.

"Maxi, I'm 100% sure you did everything in your power to save that guy," I reassured him. "You shouldn't carry any guilt for what happened. It's incredibly rare for anyone to survive a fall like that, and I don't believe he would have changed his mind, even if any of us were there. You did your best, and you shouldn't feel responsible for what he chose to do. What Jesse did that day was reckless, and you were right not to take the same risk. Bronte's rocks are even sharper than Bondi's, after all."

Maxi added, "Still, you know... I can't help but feel like I should have done better. If I had been more attentive, maybe I could have noticed something was wrong. This man, he was a friend, a brother, a son... Things like this shouldn't happen."

I replied, my voice filled with empathy, "No matter how much you want to help, Maxi, some people have already made up their minds before you can reach them. Trust me, I've been there. Everything can feel overwhelmingly hopeless. You start to think you're a burden to anyone who might care, and it feels like there's no way out of such despair." A tear welled in my eye, and Maxi gently wiped it away with his thumb.

"I'm so sorry; I didn't mean to make you revisit those memories for me," Maxi said, his eyes filled with regret. "It was thoughtless of me. I should have talked to someone else."

I shook my head and assured him, "No, absolutely not. You did the right thing by talking to me. That's what friends are for. It was a challenging part of my life, but if I can't use the lessons I've learned to help others, then it was all for nothing."

"Thanks, Oli," Maxi said with a sigh of relief. "It's been great talking to you. I feel better now. Would it be okay if Taco called you as well? He was there with me, and he looks quite shaken up..."

"No problem at all. I'm here to support lifesavers," I replied with a wink.

As Jesse entered the room with our food, Maxi and I exchanged nods, silently agreeing to keep our conversation between the two of us for now.

Jesse cleared his throat, his face lit up with a bright smile that didn't quite match the demeanor of someone who had left to get takeout. Maxi and I shared a confused glance and then shifted our attention back to Jesse, eager to understand what had transpired in his absence.

"What happened?" I asked, my curiosity piqued.

"Hoppo just called," Jesse began, his face breaking into a relieved grin. "The police requested to review the security camera footage from this morning. The detective didn't reveal much, but with the video evidence clearly showing him... harming you, they won't need your testimony. James won't be able to hurt you again; they'll make sure of that."

For You, MartinaFerrara9, and your awesome ideas ;)

One last chapter before the end...