hours

12:10 AM

"can you guys believe they're still talking?" i say after chugging down the rest of my beer, before opening another one.

"they sat down like, five minutes after luke walked up to her," ashton shakes his head sideways, "the way you feel for him is the same way he feels about jane, remember?"

i take a long swig of my beer, probably already finishing more than a quarter of it in one gulp, "this sucks ass, guys." i laugh.

"ky, if you're gonna keep drinking like that, you'll become the master driver for the trip going home." calum smirks at me.

"i know." was all i could say as i watched luke and jane talking on the sand, both of them obviously enjoying themselves.

1:30 AM

"wow. we thought you'd never come back." michael chuckles as luke comes back to his place next to me at the bonfire.

"how long were we talking?" luke grins. he looks like an idiot.

"almost three hours, i think?" ashton says, checking his phone for the time, "yup. three hours."

"so? how is she?" calum asks, obviously intrigued by this whole situation.

i haven't said a word yet since he'd returned, i am currently staring at the fire, unable to look at how happy he is.

"well, she's exactly the same as before," he motions for calum to hand him a bottle of beer, "she's still bubbly and smiley and she still has a great laugh." luke just chuckles upon hearing what he had just said.

"that's good," michael says as he nods his head up and down, "she's got a boyfriend though, right?"

my head shoots up as i wait for luke's answer.

please. please. please.

"dude, they broke up like, a month ago."

fuck.

"and so? are you gonna make a move?" ashton asks, smirking. i saw that calum nudges him slightly using his elbow, then calum motions to me. but it was too late.

"totally, guys. i feel like this chance is so right. isn't it fate that we met here? 10 hours away from home, yet we still see each other here." luke says, smiling.

"i," i speak for the first time since luke got here, "i'm feeling a bit dizzy."

"do you want some water?" luke asks, obviously alarmed.

i shake my head no.

"do you feel like throwing up?" he asks again.

i shake my head no.

"i think i'm just going to go back to the room. sleep is going to fix this." i say, placing my half-full bottle of beer down on the sand before standing up.

"do you want me to walk with you? just to make sure you make it there without problems?" he says, but he doesn't wait for my answer because he stands up, too.

the three boys just watch, unable to say anything.

"so you still like her, huh?" i manage to croak out as we walk further away from the bonfire.

"yeah." he smiles to himself.

"good onya." i say, my voice cracking as i feel a lump in my throat. he probably thinks i'm talking like this just because i'm drunk.

"she's just," he looks up at the sky, "she's so down to earth, and she likes to talk about absolutely anything. i got surprised when i found out that we'd been talking for three hours."

"just tell me when and where the wedding is." i manage to joke, yet i feel my eyes start to burn from trying to hold back tears.

"you're so silly, ky." he shakes his head at me, laughing. fucking beautiful.

i stay silent.

"here we are." luke stops at the doorway of our room.

"goodnight," i say, reaching up to ruffle his hair, "thanks for walking me back."

"it's nothing," he says, smiling down at me, "always gotta make sure my best friend is safe."

there goes that word again.

i go inside, not bothering to change or wash my face, then i allow myself to fall face down on my bed, before allowing the tears to fall down from my eyes.

it hurts when i'm drunk, and it'll hurt once i'm sober. why does my heart have to ache so much?

you suck by abigail breslin will forever be funny

- au