Chapter 31 - A Day in the Park

Chapter 31

A Day in the Park

Dane sat on a weathered park bench next to Pat watching Ethan as Bill pushed him back and forth on the swings.  The sky was clear but the air was cool and Pat pulled her jacket tighter against the breeze.  Dane observed her quietly.  She looked different now.  Her eyes were dull and there valleys and fine lines that were not there before it all, before the divorce and Laura’s death.  He remembered how Pat used to squeeze him so tight, as she pulled him down to her level nearly dragging him to the ground, to welcome him into her home.  She loved him once and so did Bill even though, he wasn’t one to show it too much.  Bill would just nod, slap him on the back and shove him into the living room to watch football.  Dane returned from his thoughts, when he realized that Pat was looking back at him.

“You’re cold.  Do you want a coffee?”  He offered and almost managed to bring a smile to her face but not quite.

“No thank you.”  She said sitting up straight and smiling at Ethan who giggled with each swoop he made.  “He likes to swing.”  She sighed.

“Yes, he does.”  He said, noticing that she fidgeted with her hands and cut her eyes over at him making he feel as if she wished he would just leave or at least find another bench elsewhere.  He had a good mind to just take Ethan and go home.  He had been working late hours and neglecting Berkley and Ethan as of late and he really didn’t want to spend Saturday with his crotchety ex-mother-in-law anyway.

“I heard about your trip to China.”  She said, finally making small talk.

“Yeah, the expansion is going well.”

“I guess that means Ethan stays behind while you travel.”

“Not by my choice but it is a really long flight for a little guy like him.”

“Cybil has a lot on her plate these days with all that charity work, the bridge club and following Alan around at the country club.  I’m sure she could use a little help with Ethan when you are away.”

“She only looks after Ethan a couple of nights a week even when I’m traveling.”

“Is that so?”  She said stating the obvious rather than asking.

“Berkley takes very good care of him, Pat.”

“Oh, come off it Dane.  We all know that Berkley is more interested in taking care of you than Ethan.”

Dane frowned at her sarcasm.  “I won’t deny that she is good to me but she always puts Ethan first.”  She has been good for him.  The doctor is amazed at the progress he has made in the past few months.  He is finally talking on a normal level and he doesn’t throw tantrums every when I leave for work.  He sleeps solid through most nights. 

“If she is so wonderful then it will only hurt Ethan more when you toss her out.”  She huffed.

“I’m not planning to toss her out anytime soon or ever for that matter.  You need to get comfortable with the idea of her being a part of Ethan’s life.”

“I will never be comfortable with anyone trying to replace Laura.”

“That isn’t what she is trying to do.”

“Oh Ethan isn’t what she is after.  You have made a name for yourself Dane.  Laura would be proud.”

“Laura was never proud of me.”

“She loved you, Dane.”

“In her on way but it wasn’t enough though, was it?”

“It could have been, if you had been around to receive it.”