Chapter 37 - The Truce

A/N Hello everyone! A quick thank you to those who have stayed loyal and patient to the story! I thank you so much for your patience and support! I've had to go back and re-read the last few chapters to get my head back into where I left off. Unfortunately I myself lost touch with my characters while I was away.

That being said, it was difficult to read when I have so many typos and edits to be corrected and made. It was hard to keep moving forward when I feel the need to go backwards and edit.

But that will be for another day. Today we move forward.

THANK YOU ALL FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART! Your amazing support has truly been the driving force behind me to get back on this horse and do this.

Sincerely

Ryle Cate

Dane had returned to work and managed to avoid his dad for the remainder of the afternoon. Ana on the other hand refused to leave him be. The past few days, she had watched him stew. She had been going out of her way to insure that she was giving him his space, but this afternoon she had had enough of his sulking and was hovering. He didn't blame her for the problems he was having with Berkley but he couldn't help but wonder how different his life would be if he had simply refused to go on that business trip.

"You've been sitting at your desk scowling at your computer for over an hour Dane. I've watched you do this every day. Do you want to talk about it?"

"Not really." He groaned.

"I know Berkley left you. I know it's my fault. I wish I could take all of this back. I'm willing to try." Ana said making her way over to him but keeping her distance. She wanted to reach out to him but she knew that her affection was not what he needed. He needed Berkley and he looked like he wasn't going to get himself together without her.

Dane leaned back in his chair and ran his fingers through his hair. "There isn't anything you can do."

"I don't know about that. Maybe if I could just talk to her. I could explain everything."

"I've already tried." He said in utter defeat. "I think you are the last person that she wants to see aside from me of course."

"Dane I think I should try. It is the least I can do considering I've not only hurt you but Ethan too."

"It's not a good idea. Just do your job and worry about the company. Leave my personal life out of it." His words were blunt but not said in a hateful way. They stung just the same.

"I'm not going to sit back and watch you do this."

"Ana let it go and stay away from her."

"Let me at least talk to Garrett."

"No."

"Dane, please. I know I can help, if you would just give me a chance."

"I said no. Don't you have a board meeting to prepare for?"

Ana's mouth dropped open. He was right. There was a board meeting first thing in the morning and she did need to go over her power point but he had never actually behaved like her boss before. It was another slap in the face. She waited for a moment, expecting an apology that she knew she didn't deserve. Her eyes met his cold gaze. "Yes I do." She said as she made her way to the door. Before closing the door behind her she quietly spoke. "Dane, I'm sorry."