Chapter 12 - The Betrayal

Chapter 12

The ride home was quiet.  Dane pulled into the garage and before he even had the car in park Berkley was out of the car and a making a beeline to the house.  He didn't even bother calling after her.  He waited a moment to make sure the garage door closed then slid out of the car.  He yanked his tie off as stepped into the kitchen.  He stopped at the fridge and grabbed a bottle of water while checking his phone.  He had three texts, one from Trent, Joel and Dylan.  He thumbed through them.  Trent was giving him a hard time about blowing it with Berkley and wondering if he had managed to pull out a quick save.  Dane sent a text back to Trent that the jury was still out then moved on to Dylan. 

Sorry I ditched. You'll thank me later.

                                                How is that?

                BJ was there.

Dane felt his blood pressure hit the roof and immediately called Dylan.  "What the hell Dylan?  Why didn't you tell me?"

"I handled it and I knew if I told you, you would overreact and ruin the night for both of you which from what Trent told me, you pretty much did that anyway."  Dylan retorted.

"Since I no longer have anything to lose, inform me now."

"There really isn't much to tell.  I got there before her and kept an eye on her.  She stayed at the table with her friends for a while.  He showed up about thirty minutes later and went straight to some girl.  He seemed to be into her so I just sat at the bar and let him be.  Then Berkley started dancing with some guy and caught his attention.  He kept out of her line of vision and kept his cool for maybe a minute.  He didn't like seeing another guy with his hands on her.  He was flipping out and he was on his way over to her.  I had Tillman bump into him and he went ballistic and threw a punch.  I flashed my badge and escorted him out.  Berkley never saw him but she really needs to pay better attention when she visits places from their past."

"What do you think his intentions were had he reached her?"

"He is obviously still carrying around some baggage and he has a temper but beyond that I can't speculate.  You need to tell her he was there.  She needs to know."

"She is just starting to loosen up and get out of the house.  I don't want to scare her back into hiding out all the time."

"Dane, the guy is intense.  Would you rather her be reckless?"

"No but ..."

"Then talk to her because he isn't going to go away.  He said he was just trying to hook up with his ex and he seemed intent about that."

"How am I supposed to explain that I had you following her?  She will be mad – at me."  He added.

"She already is and you're a charming guy I'm sure you will think of something.  Now leave me alone.  I need some sleep and you need, um, to take care of you situation."  Dylan said smugly.

"Isn't there something I can do legally to get rid of him?"

"No not unless he threatens her and even then it's her word against his.  It gets complicated Dane."

"He beat the shit out of her doesn't that matter?"

"She didn't report it and it's been too long for there to be any evidence to corroborate her story.  Cautious victims have better chances at staying safe.  Talk to her."

"Thanks for keeping her safe tonight." 

"No problem.  I'll talk to you later."