Chapter 34 - Ana

Chapter 34

Ana

 Ana sat quietly by the fire while Dane called the pilot.  She could hear the excitement in his voice.  How could she have missed it before?  He called Berkley and told her that he was trying to fly back and that he would see her soon.  The smile on his face as he listened to Berkley left Ana guilt ridden. 

Dane hung up the phone and Ana watched him as he strolled across the room.   He stepped inside the bedroom and she watched as he rummaged through his luggage.  He pulled out a pair of jeans and a shirt.  Saying Dane was handsome was an understatement.  It was ironic, that when she finally had him to herself, she had to let him go.  Maybe if she would have appreciated him sooner, like when he warned her about her last relationship, things would be different.

She made her way to the door and leaned against the door frame.  He hadn’t noticed her yet.  He brushed his teeth and rather than use the cup by the sink, he cupped water into his hand and sucked it up to rinse his mouth.  It reminded her of all those vacations their families had taken together.  It seemed just like yesterday that she was by his side at the sink brushing her teeth too.  Granted she always used a cup and he always splashed cold water in her face then chased her down the hall back to her room.  Her heart skipped a beat then the emptiness crept back in.  He leaned towards the towel and buried his face in it for a moment then turned back and met her gaze. 

“Ana.”  He said with raw empathy.  He knew her too well for her to even bother with trying to hide her thoughts.

“I’m fine, Dane.”  She forced a smile then stepped out closing the door behind her.

Moments later Dane stepped out of the bedroom with his luggage.  He was surprised to find himself alone.  He dropped the luggage and called her name.  “Ana?” He rushed out the door.  She wasn’t on the porch.  His heart was racing at the thought of how she must be feeling.  He hadn’t hesitated when the opportunity to leave presented itself.  He didn’t want to be here but he didn’t want to hurt her.  “Ana!”  He called again over the wind.  He followed the same path they had taken earlier.    The wind was picking up and just as he reached the point that descended to the dunes below, he saw the movement of her hair whipping violently around her shoulders. 

He paused behind her.  The wind had kept her from hearing him.  He made his way over to her.  He spoke softly.  “Ana, why are you out here again?”

“I’ve made so many mistakes.  I never wanted you to be one of them.  I’ve been so horrible.”

“Ana.”  Her name lingered then rolled slowly off his lips.  “It’s okay.”  He consoled.  Dane seriously doubted that she was alright.  He looked at his dear friend.  She stood by his side a few years back when no one else did.  The tabloids had nearly ruined him and temporarily cost him the support of his family.  They were all advised to keep their distance from him publicly until the damage could be weighed and measured.  It broke his mother’s heart and that nearly broke him.  Ana rushed to his side and defended him.  She refused to let Dane give up on himself.  She had even been accused of being the mistress that broke up his marriage.  It was all a lie, started by Laura, to cover her own tail.  Ana struggled inwardly with the media but made sure to never let them see any weakness or shift in her demeanor.   She stayed strong for Dane because no one else was there.  She had always been loyal to him and he wasn’t going to abandon her now. 

“I never meant for this to happen.”  She wiped a tear from her face and turned to face him.  He pulled her into his arms and she fell into his chest.  Her shoulders shook as she sobbed.