Chapter 41 - Humbled

Thanks for all your reads, votes and comments! I am still trying to catch up on them but I do read them! I am forever grateful for the tried and true who have stayed with me through this journey from day one. I am also very thankful for those who are new and have only recently discovered my story. I welcome you and hope to hear from you too!

I hope that we all are still together when the final chapter arrives!

THANK YOU SO MUCH! ♥R.C.

Chapter 41 - Humbled

Alan made his way across the kitchen and gave Cybil a quick peck on the cheek. "I won't be coming home for lunch today."

"Oh, why is that?" She asked.

"I have something I need to take care of and today is as good of a day as any."

"I hope you know what you're doing. It's going to take more than a nice lunch and two simple words to mend your bridges." Cybil warned.

"I know but it is a start." He said as he opened the door to what he hoped would be a beautiful day.

"Are you sure you don't want me to come along?" She called to him just as he was going out the door.

"I'm sure. I will be fine. You just get the biggest Christmas tree you can find. We have a family tradition to uphold." He said leaning back inside for one last word.

It was midmorning when Alan called Dylan. He would need his help to make things happen with Berkley today.

"Hello." Dylan answered lazily with a yawn.

"It's half past ten. I thought you would be up." Alan said looking at the clock above the door. "Can you get with Grace and see if she would be willing to watch Ethan for a couple of hours around noon time today then pick up Berkley for lunch?"

"Sure, but does Dane know about this?"

"Yes and no. Don't bother telling him. I feel it is best that I surprise Berkley. I don't want to worry her and I know if she knew ahead of time, it would cause her to stress over my intentions."

"You better get this right. If you screw this up, you're not taking me down with you." Dylan said knowing that Dane would kill him if things didn't go well. He thought of his brother and knew how much he loved Berkley. He also knew that their father had driven a huge wedge between them in the worst way. He had to help his father redeem himself. It was the only way Dane would ever forgive such an unjust act of betrayal.

"Just have her at that little cafe down on the riverfront no later than noon."

"I'll do my best." Dylan said hanging up the phone and crawling out of bed. He had worked a double shift and looked like he had been on an all-night bender. He splashed his face with a little cold water, ran his fingers through his hair and sprayed a little cologne for good measure. He swallowed down a cup of coffee then made the necessary arrangements with Grace.

###

Berkley answered the door and was greeted by a pair of ripped jeans and a t-shirt enveloping the body of none other than Dylan. "Since when do you knock? She asked slightly puzzled by the fact and recalling the times he had walked in on her and Dane.

"I'm afraid I might walk in on some weird pregnancy stuff." He teased.

"Oh, I didn't realize you had a phobia."

"What guy doesn't?"

Dane doesn't seem weirded out by it. She thought to herself. "Well you're welcome here weird baby stuff or not." She said arching her back, rubbing as of it hurt before pooching her tummy out as she turned to do an over exaggerated pregnancy waddle.