Why she fell by a colorful dreamer

This is one of those books that rubbed me the wrong way morally. The writer is 14 and I felt that her writing was one of a naive 14 year old, although I know the characters are 15 I found them to be quite immature. I didn’t like her use of F*** throughout the book and the disrespect the two main characters had towards each other and they were suppose to be in love with each other. Calling each other dumbass, stupid etc.. is not my idea of a fantasy romance.

In one chapter Erin (the lead) parents are away for the weekend and they tell her she can have anyone spend the night including Daniel her fake boyfriend who she loves. I was surprised by all the comments saying what an awesome mother she had.

When I was in high school I had a friend who had a mother like this. One day my friend had a guy spend the night and in the morning the guy woke up to go to the bathroom down the hall. He was naked and ran into her mother in the hall. Her mom was embarrassed and ran back to her room. If it was my mother I would have been dead. Needless to say that girl went through many boyfriends and several husbands. These books that encourage and romanticize this kind of behavior just rub me the wrong way.

The writer also has the main girl Erin get raped. It is a prank pulled by one of the other popular girls to get back at her. I feel she did this for a bit of drama in the story. I feel the subject of rape is a very serious one, I once took a self-defense class with a bunch of ladies that had been raped and it was heart wrenching, frightening and every part of your body freezes when you hear their story, it is every womans nightmare. Yet in her story it is not really a big deal. Erin in the end just shrugs it off. 

So that being said I will say that I thought the writer had a good way of expressing herself. The story line was interesting but wasnt delivered in a believable way. It was very cliché and I could predict pretty much everything that happened. I felt her characters were rude and hard to like. I felt that the writer didn’t do any research or plan out her story or characters she just wrote the story as it popped in her head, which lead to very unbelievable ending.