The Horrendous Talk

Walking into my parents room when they call you for a "talk" isn't some small feat. Trust me!

Let me describe my parents to you shall I?

Meet Mr Mohammed Hussain; quite a tall man, though my mother's pretty short (that's where I get my munchkin style height from), he's quite skinny for a man who loves his food and sports a hairstyle that just declares "Pakistani right here!" He's quite blunt when speaking but always has a tone of love when speaking to his family; the man adores his grandson, Mohammed Umer Hussain. He's in his early forties'. I love him nonetheless.

Now, meet the queen of the family, Mrs Fozia Hussain. My dear mother, she’s an absolute softie. We all love her, because she knows our soft spots and what we're thinking all the time! The woman's perfect, she's short-all her kids tower over her, she likes that though, apparently "makes her feel loved and protected"(her words not mine)-, she has black hair styled into a low bun. She loves her heels, though she prefers flats! She pretends to be strict but she knows she can never continue out any punishment, because she feels too "mean"! She's also in her early forties'. I love her so much it hurts!

Anyway... Enough sucking up.

I walked in, only to see both of them seated waiting for me! Crap, I made them wait! Parents-1 Khadijah-0. You never make your parents wait in this family, I repeat NEVER make them wait because they bring the big guns out then!! 

“Sorry, Abba." I quickly said, praying it saves me from any hour long lecture I apparently deserve for whatever I apparently did.

Dad laughed "Oh Khadijah!"

Wait up, why is he not screaming? I find this slightly weird!!!

"Khadijah, you know we love you right!" said my mother in a weary tone.

"Hmm." I replied determined to get to the point, I knew they were just delaying the point.

“I want you to get married to my friend's son, Mohammed Qasim."

Huh, talk about getting to the point!

"Bu-" I said only to get cut off.

"No buts, he's a good man, only three years older than you. He's a really respectable man-manners wise. He's the oldest son, one younger brother called Abid- nineteen years and a sister Aneesah-eighteen years, same age as Haleena. When are you planning to get married, huh? You’re 20. That’s old! "

Ladies and gentlemen, my father!

"Dad... ABBA, I GET IT OK!" I groaned wanting to drop this bloody conversation!

"Sorry Abba, for being disrespectful!" I dropped my gaze to the floor embarrassed for speaking out in such a rude way.

He stepped up towards me and hugged me, "It's ok, beti (sweetheart) but I stick by my decision."  I hugged him back twice as hard thanking god, he ignored my blunder! It's pretty rare that my father hugs me so I took the opportunity! But about that marriage thing, yeah. I don’t think so. I’m only 20, this is my chance to discover the world not be confined to a moody man’s side.

My mother decided to jump in the conversation, "Sweetheart, he's a good man; I met him myself last Friday."

Ahh that's where they went without telling me, to be honest I felt pretty neglected then! Oh well!

"You know, he came with the rishta (marriage proposal) himself." Huh, when was that? 

"Dad, will he ever raise his hands on me?"

That was my only concern to be pretty honest. I don't want to ever be in a relationship with an abuser. Forget the moodiness but once you hit me, damn I’m out of there quicker than you can say my name!

"No, he's not like that. Trust me, he's an honest-to-Allah good man!" dad answered.

They both hugged me and kissed my forehead.

"Sweetheart, we love you and that’s why we want you to do this before you’re subject to the crap our family will put you through."

No pressure then yeah?

I groaned out loud.

My parents walked out of their room, leaving me with my depressing and immature thoughts- my mother with a worried expression and my father with a thoughtful look stuck on his face. Good, I hope he's re-thinking this "rishta"!

I looked around; my parent's room just screamed CLEAN! My mother's a serial cleaner and my father's the obliging husband! Maroon and cream bed covers definitely Zohrah's idea (my beloved sister-in-law). My parent’s room bought back so much pleasant memories back; hiding under the bed from my father, questioning my mother on things I didn't know, getting ready for weddings, getting my first phone!

This room is the base of my childhood and that conversation is the start of my adult life! That oh-so horrendous conversation!