Chapter 22: Christmas on the 18th?

It’s the last day of school before Christmas break, I’ve actually finished my reports on time and the Teachers have taken to grade them for CAPE examination submission. Who of thought living in the pack house would have been a good thing; I have been so productive with school thanks to my dad who actually knew a whole lot about the subjects I was studying and Brian, who was a great help with research. And of course my mother has been visiting every evening when she got home from work.

I’m sitting on a bench with Shane, Jade and Christina as I wait for Brian to pick me up.

“So how’s it going with Alex?” Christina asks Shane.

Shane flushes and smiles, “Well, I met his family on Saturday.”

“How did that go?” Christina asks smiling brightly at her, as Jade and I sit closer looking at her to spill the details.

Shane looks at me and blushes some more.

“What?” I ask laughing nervously. Oh God, don’t tell me he told her about what we truly are.

“Nothing!” she squeals, “It’s just that we’re getting really close and there are things that you might not be ready to hear Ceej.”

Christina nodded, “Yeah, you’re a bit of a baby when it comes to us talking about these things.”

I burst out laughing, “Are you serious, Shane?”

“Yes!”

“No way!” I say shaking my head at her, “Did you and Alex you know, like… do it?”

“Well… not exactly but we got close.” She pushes her glasses up.

I smirk at her, “Okay… interesting.”

Jade nudges me, “Risey, what are you hiding?”

I look at her with my head tilted, “Like what?”

“Did you and Brian go dirty dancing and you didn’t tell me?”

“Like the movie?” I ask jokingly.

“Did you?” Shane asks in shock.

I bit my nails, “Guys come on, you all just called me the baby.”

“I didn’t.” Jade said looking me square in the eye.

“Okay fine. We did it in Florida.”

“What? Did your dad find out?” Christina asks curiously.

“Yes and he was a bit pissed but he said it was bound to happen sooner or later.”

“I can’t believe this!” Shane exclaimed, “I can’t get over the fact you did it and didn’t tell us.”

“Well, I didn’t ever see a time to bring it up.” I shrugged.

“There’s always a time.” Christina said giggling, “I would have never thought it though.”

“Me either,” Jade added “but I knew it would happen.” She smiled, “Was it good.”

“It was perfect.”

“No details?” Shane asked.

I smiled, “You’re too much of a baby to hear this.”

Jade and Christina laughed and then as if on cue Brian came to pick me up as their bus came. We waved at each other and left.

“Hey mum!” I exclaimed at I walked through the door with Brian not too far behind.

“How was school?” she asked.